Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base coat on new plaster

Options
  • 01-02-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Just been told by the builder that we should be okay to do the base coats of paint in a new build house. It's timber frame, so plaster board and then plaster skim.

Basically what I'm looking for is recommendations on what to seal the walls with - the two I've been told is 1) diluted PVA glue mix or 2) diluted water based emulsion.

Anyone any idea's?

Edit - Also while I'm on, anyone point me in the direction of cheap, decent emulsion. White at this stage...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Macy wrote:
    Basically what I'm looking for is recommendations on what to seal the walls with - the two I've been told is 1) diluted PVA glue mix or 2) diluted water based emulsion.
    ...[/I]

Either or really, but pissy emulsion is easier to work with and involves less cleaning afterwards - especially if you've just used white paint.

But IMHO there is no such thing as cheap good emulsion - go for a brand name like crown, dulux etc everytime, the payback in having to do less coats is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Borzoi wrote:
    Either or really, but pissy emulsion is easier to work with and involves less cleaning afterwards - especially if you've just used white paint.
    Cheers, seems like the easiest to me too, and same as the next coat so less messing...
    Borzoi wrote:
    But IMHO there is no such thing as cheap good emulsion - go for a brand name like crown, dulux etc everytime, the payback in having to do less coats is worth it.
    Actually that's what I meant, cheap named brand - well cheaper than woodies anyway....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Macy

Are you going to just undercoat it will normal emulsion?? Just wondering as I Will be in the same situation in the next year or so when we are painting.

cheers

yop wrote:
    Macy

Are you going to just undercoat it will normal emulsion?? Just wondering as I Will be in the same situation in the next year or so when we are painting.

cheers
    What I was told to do was make up a 50-50 mix of water and water based emulsion. Do a coat of this to seal the walls and ceiling, then a couple of coats of the emulsion on top. I'll be doing it over the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes on Monday.

Shouldn't take too long, as internal woodwork not done yet, so don't have to mess around with masking tape etc, and as it's base coats, white on ceilings and walls so not even the joins an issue :) Fair play to the builder for giving the heads up...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yip will be doing the same myself, have bought the auld spray gun to run around the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I am in the process of painting my new house, I'm doing the ceilings myself and I have got a pro in to do the walls. Skirtings and arcitraves have been sprayed already.

I used Woodies own-brand superflat emulsion for the ceilings, diluted with 10% water for the first coat, then second coat on top and a few touch-ups. Looks the biz. Fill in any cracks, minor holes, etc. after the first coat. I've heard Woodies own brand paint is quite good, well white is white I reckon.

Dulux Easycare on the walls (washable matt), not cheap at nearly €50 for 5 litres, but I got it at 20% off. Worth paying extra for the walls I reckon.

;););)

yop wrote:
    have bought the auld spray gun to run around the house
    Hmmm spray gun, didn't actually think of that. Do you reckon you'll get as good a result?

well when was workin as my days as a tiler in an apartment block the painters all used spray guns for doing the undercoatings of walls and roof, not 100% sure if they used them for the other coats though, but the speed of doing the 1st coat was mad. saves a lot of time

yop wrote:
    well when was workin as my days as a tiler in an apartment block the painters all used spray guns for doing the undercoatings of walls and roof, not 100% sure if they used them for the other coats though, but the speed of doing the 1st coat was mad. saves a lot of time
    Might have a look for a cheap one just for the sealing coat at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Fleetwood are doing there own brand of Easycare emulsion,they are located on Davitt road right beside Dulux.They charge 32euro for a gallon which is a white base and they can match/mix any colour you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement