Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adsl 2

Options
  • 01-02-2005 11:41am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I read sometime last year on these boards that eircom are going to update us all to adsl2, anyone know when this might happen and what speeds/benefits can we expect over our existing adsl connection.. im about 2.3km from the exchange and wondering would I get upgraded speeds from that distance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Sorry but its not going to happen. At least not within the next 3 years. Distance wise you sound fairly close, shouldnt be a problem for any sort of DSL connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

There's rumblings that eircom will be announcing adsl2 upgrades and an increase in the distance limits in the next few weeks. It's not in itself going to mean increased speeds though - infact, eircom could bump speeds up to 8mbit with the current firmware in the dslams at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You can run ADSL2+ up to 24Mbps (or something in that region), but that's limited to 3.5km's from the exchange. I think 8Mbps with plain ol' ADSL has a similar distance limit. But as Moriarty says, what Eircom will offer is a completely different matter.

Advertisement