Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Facility is like a tip!

Options
  • 30-01-2005 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

I just got back from a trip down to my local recycling facility.
    There is 13 receptacles for Glass (3 colours) Plastic bottles, tin cans and aluminium cans.
    People have been dumping boxes of tin cans with what would appear to be dogfood cans just at the foot of the bins.
    I mean is this ignorant or what!
    Quite apart from the health issues ,rats etc it is very unsightly.
    Why are people so ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

CJhaughey wrote:
    I just got back from a trip down to my local recycling facility.
    There is 13 receptacles for Glass (3 colours) Plastic bottles, tin cans and aluminium cans.
    People have been dumping boxes of tin cans with what would appear to be dogfood cans just at the foot of the bins.
    I mean is this ignorant or what!
    Quite apart from the health issues ,rats etc it is very unsightly.
    Why are people so ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing?

I blame the parents!!!
    Also too much Dallas and not enough Walton's mountain!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I blame the rise of Me Fein.

Still, its not as bad what I've heard some cnuts have been doing ie throwing used nappies into their green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Its a wooring sign al the same. With nearly all the bins being collected now being charged on a pay per weight system more and more people are just dumping there rubbish at recycling centers without segregating it. And what ususlly then happens is it makes the material unuasll and eventually end up in a landfill anyway. Which kinda defects the purpose of a recycling center.

There are numerous newspaper acounts of rubbish left at bring or recycling centers and yet nothing seems to be done about it. I personally think that litter wardens should patrol these places more often, and hefty fines should be handed out. Its the only way people learn is when you hit their pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I had to deal with dog food tins covered in maggots last summer that people left into the recycling centre. You would be shocked at some of the stuff people sent in and just dumped into the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I had a bit of a chat with my local council recently regarding the recycle bins being full.

They said that they could not get/afford(!) them to be emptied more frequently and THEN a story appeared where they were doing people for fly-tipping as people were leaving boxes of bottles near the bins. (I seem to recall they actually had a camera set up !!)

I blame both the council and people just leaving bottles there. But I can see people being annoyed that they have made a trip - being green and that - then get there to see there is nowhere to put the blummin things. It doesn't exactly promote recycling if you can't even use the bins.

Before I take all the glass/tins to my local recycle place I have to take a trip out in the car to see if the bins are full or not and then drive back home and start loading the car up if bins are not full. Bit sad that you have to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

My bottle bank has expanded the number of plastic and newspaper banks but the demand is still exceeding the supply of empty banks.And more poeple using it now but no increase in can bank. Seems to be a common thing.
    It is so off-putting having to go away and come back. Not to mention the wasps hanging around in the summer and the broken glass all over the ground. I don't think the councillors are bringing their stuff down v often - otherwise they actually might notice these things....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

In my Cork County Council area there isin't curbside recycycle collection

Advertisement