Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you still send telegrams

Options
  • 29-01-2005 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

am just wondering if you can still do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

I seem to remember them closing down the GPO (?) motorbike section when they stopped doing telegraphs a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Think you still doing something like this. Its in the phone book i think eircom do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Telegrams, no.

"Telemessages", yes. Since about 1989ish. They have to be booked a few days in advance. Mostly used for weddings I suspect. These days smarter people send faxes. Even smarter people probably don't bother their asses.

AFAIK international telegrams can still be sent.

That's all assuming that they haven't dumped the telemessage as well due to lack of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the thread in the feedback made me think how come they never used txt spk in telegrams oh well was just wondering.

It used to great to see the films reading the telegrams STOP It would be so funny to see them say STOP at the end of the line STOP Its kinda annyoing on the net STOP

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog STOP Whats interesting about the last statment STOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you dial 189. eircom then e-mail a print centre (presumably near a main postal sorting office) and An Post deliver it with the next post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

irishgeo wrote:
    It used to great to see the films reading the telegrams STOP It would be so funny to see them say STOP at the end of the line STOP Its kinda annyoing on the net STOP

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog STOP Whats interesting about the last statment STOP

has every letter of the alphabet in it

yes thats correct was ues to test the sending of telegrams.

Advertisement