Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom cap

Options
  • 29-01-2005 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

this question has probably heen asked hundreds of time but just to be sure, to be sure...

im on the eircom broadband 2 month trial, does the 4GB cap apply to this and has anyone ever been charged for going over it? if so, how far over did you go and how much were you charged? also are you charged for uploading cap breeching? or is it all simply a guideline.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Spacedog wrote:
    this question has probably heen asked hundreds of time but just to be sure, to be sure...

im on the eircom broadband 2 month trial, does the 4GB cap apply to this and has anyone ever been charged for going over it? if so, how far over did you go and how much were you charged? also are you charged for uploading cap breeching? or is it all simply a guideline.

geeez

this answer has probably been given hundres of times but just to answer you, to you

Not yet, BUT, they have the right to charge you for the past 6 month if they want it and you will have to pay, they are closing their eyes about this now, but you never know when the nuts and bolts in eircoms brian are going to turn lose and they suddenly start charging everyone.

there is a charge of 3.5 cents per mb, you do the calculations, I was with eircom about a year ago and at one point I downloaded 80GB or even more

as far as I know there is no upload limit

so if you want, go ahead and start downloading but if eircom charges you, don't come blaming me.

The upload cap is 1GB on the home starter (€40) package, the home plus (€54.45) package has no upload cap. Never heard of it being enforced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Cyberghost,

What makes you think they have the right to retrospectively bill you for the last 6 months. Where does it say that on the t&c's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I have word from the inside (my stepfather) that they do eventually plan to start charging for the cap, but not just yet, probably when they reach a certain subscriber limit and the price comes down anyway (they are planning to bring the price down).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

They would have some cheek to overcharge for a service that is not nearly at acceptable standard !!!

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote:
    Cyberghost,

What makes you think they have the right to retrospectively bill you for the last 6 months. Where does it say that on the t&c's ?

I don't know exaclty but I remember reading here, many people said they have the right to charge you with a cap for the past 6 month

Well I read the T&C's in detail today and it says NOTHING about them having the right to charge you for up to the previous 6 months if you break your cap. I have however read one other post from someone on this forum where they have said the usual about being able to backdate yout 6 months. Complete rubbish....this is not mentioned or implied in any contract so I would like to see them try and backdate your bill.

I hope you are right Flaccus :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Drapper wrote:
    They would have some cheek to overcharge for a service that is not nearly at acceptable standard !!!

How would they be overcharging? Anyone who takes up service with them agrees to the cap and the charges.

And what is unacceptable about the service? It is generally recognised by boards contributors (even those who loathe Eircom for whatever reason) that Eircom is the most consistent isp when it comes to service quality. There are very few threads here complaining of Eircoms bb service as regards either speeds or pings.

Flaccus wrote:
    Well I read the T&C's in detail today and it says NOTHING about them having the right to charge you for up to the previous 6 months if you break your cap. I have however read one other post from someone on this forum where they have said the usual about being able to backdate yout 6 months. Complete rubbish....this is not mentioned or implied in any contract so I would like to see them try and backdate your bill.

Is there anything in the T&C's that says any customer exceeding his monthly cap must be charged within a certain timeframe or else Eircom forego the right to charge that customer? If not.............

Is there anything in the T&C's that says that if Eircom don't bill you for some reason for bb service for a particular month (say industrial action) that you dont have to pay for that month sooner or later?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    How would they be overcharging? Anyone who takes up service with them agrees to the cap and the charges.

And what is unacceptable about the service? It is generally recognised by boards contributors (even those who loathe Eircom for whatever reason) that Eircom is the most consistent isp when it comes to service quality. There are very few threads here complaining of Eircoms bb service as regards either speeds or pings.
    Have to agree with you there. I despise Eircom and think that they overcharge for their broadband services but I've never had a problem with it. I don't have it myself, but know a few friends who have. They've never had a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I have to agree with Karsini also.
    I have had eircom BB for over a year and not had any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Karsini wrote:
    The upload cap is 1GB on the home starter (€40) package,

Hows that Karsini, I've the Home Starter Kit & I've a 4GB cap.

Anywho about the cap, a question. Up until now I have been averaging only 9, 10% of my cap, but obviously I have been going completely over that. For the month of January I have shot up to 75%. So I ask you, is the huge increase coz of these 3 possible reasons or summit completely different.

A: I recently upgraded to NIS 2005, and was obviously using NIS 2004. So, was there some kind of blocking system in NIS 2004 that stopped eircom seeing what I was actually DLing? (just to clarify that if there was such a blocking system, I had absolutely no knowledge of it).

B: Eircom have updated there tracking systems and now can better record how much you are DLing.

C: It is just a coincidence that after Upgrading to NIS 2005 that my DL amount has become what it actually should be.

Thanx in advance :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

norbert64 wrote:
    A: I recently upgraded to NIS 2005, and was obviously using NIS 2004. So, was there some kind of blocking system in NIS 2004 that stopped eircom seeing what I was actually DLing? (just to clarify that if there was such a blocking system, I had absolutely no knowledge of it).

B: Eircom have updated there tracking systems and now can better record how much you are DLing.

C: It is just a coincidence that after Upgrading to NIS 2005 that my DL amount has become what it actually should be.

Thanx in advance :cool:

there's no software that can hide the amount you are downloading from your isp (unless it's a hacking tool you use to break into eircom and delete their logs) tunnelling software can be used to hide the content of the traffic you are downloading, but this requires access to a remote server. it's unlikely NIS 2004/2005.

someone stop me if I'm wrong.

Hacking tool to change Eircom's logs, LOL, wouldn't have the foggiest idea about that.
    No, I just wondered how come from September 2 December my Eircom log was saying I had DLed only 300 MB for the month when I can tell you for a fact I DLed about 5 GB of music, movies etc.

I guess I should be happy that they didn't actually know how much I had DLed, but if some of the earlier posts might be true, then they could get me for backlogs.

Anywho thanx for the info Spacedog :cool:

Dub45

To answer your question :

No and No.

Flaccus wrote:
    Dub45

To answer your question :

No and No.

Terms and Conditions do not favour the customer - I am trying to get some answers out of UTV at the moment - you would think that any self respecting company would be only too willing to answer questions about T&C's that a customer would have but if you were to think that you would be extremely naive!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

How much does IOL charge for going over your cap ...and has anyone been charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

dunno if iol have started charging yet either,but my friend did get kicked off it last week for going waaaaay over the limit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sickle wrote:
    dunno if iol have started charging yet either,but my friend did get kicked off it last week for going waaaaay over the limit!

what temorarily? also the cap resets at midnight last nite so he should b good to go again. what u want to do is go crazy downloading on the 30th or 31st so they havent got time to kick u off.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

i think she consistently went over the limit,she was over by 40gigs.
    but she rang up,played the fool and they are putting her back on

Karsini wrote:

Silly ole me, Sorry Karsini, I thought you said DL not upload. Was rushing off 4 work & not paying much attention 2 what I was reading. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

on one of the bills that eircom sent to me it said that they will contact me when they are going to apply the download/upload cap. The reason they have not been charging thus far is that they did not even have the software for a long time and then they had to set it up etc which is taking longer than they thought. I'm sure they are not pushed into applying it yet until there systems are close to being streched. They cannot bill you for past dowloading/uploading over the limit when they did not even have the system in place. BTW I know they have logs of the usage but they did not have the software to charge these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭GiMiC

axer wrote:
    on one of the bills that eircom sent to me it said that they will contact me when they are going to apply the download/upload cap. The reason they have not been charging thus far is that they did not even have the software for a long time and then they had to set it up etc which is taking longer than they thought. I'm sure they are not pushed into applying it yet until there systems are close to being streched. They cannot bill you for past dowloading/uploading over the limit when they did not even have the system in place. BTW I know they have logs of the usage but they did not have the software to charge these.

The upgrades to the systems are underway at the moment, but naturally they're not gonna start charging until they can accurately record the download/upload quotas for all their customers. Anyone who has got DSL from Eircom since last April will notice a generic username and password being used (usually eircom/broadband1) as opposed to the unique ones all the previous customers used. This is due to the new authentication system that has been implemented on the servers. Not sure what the expected timeframe for complete upgrade on existing customers is, but it seems to be going slowly.

Advertisement