Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Linebacker, Friday Night Lights, and Society

Options
  • 28-01-2005 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Funny thing happened at work the other day. Some managers chose to play "Terry Tate, Office Linebacker" (http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?u_player=realplayer&adid=526) as a faux-motivational pitch. The American nationals thought it was great, however the Japanese and Italians were mortified and deeply offended. Some even officially complained. I don't understand how or why, but I assume it to be a cultural difference.

There is also a great film out on DVD now (at least region 1) called Friday Night Lights, it follows the 1988 Periman HS Panthers through a season of Texas HS football. It is extremely accurate in theme (with typical Hollywood deviations), and is fairly historically accurate. What is interesting about it is that it shows American Football, and therefore, culture (they really are inseparable) for what it is. The good, the bad, and at times the VERY ugly. Texans loved the movie, and the book that it was based on. Odessa Texas didn't receive either as well.

I'm curious to see how both of these go over in Europe. I would imagine Poorly.

Advertisement