Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nfl Draft 2005

Options
  • 28-01-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

So anyone here follow the draft? Who are we think San Fran is taking with the no.1 pick? I reckon no-one will want to trade for it this year due to the lack of blue chip prospects but if Mike Williams has a standout Combine then he might be the pick. Another T.O. perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I dunno about Williams, he's missed a whole year. And what about Clarett? Who'll take a chance on him?

I think the niners will take a RB, Benson or Williams (Carnell).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

I could see a team like Chicago talking a risk on clarret in the 3rd/4th round. Cant see the niner's taking a RB with the 1st pick. No way with a class this deep in that position and all the F/A's out there this year that they pay him 1st pick money. They'll prob end up with little choice but to choose between Rodgers or Alex Smith. I'd go with Smith. Projects better imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

what about Matt Leinart, is he going into the draft or not. It looked like he was going to stay at USC, but havent heard since. He'd surely be a no.1 pick

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

john_g83 wrote:
    what about Matt Leinart, is he going into the draft or not. It looked like he was going to stay at USC, but havent heard since. He'd surely be a no.1 pick

He is staying at USC for his Senior year!
    Crazy if you ask me!

Imagine if he got a nasty injury next year... bye bye $30M dollar contract

• Advertisement

The guys insurance would mean he'd never have to work again anyway so injuries not really the issue. I think he made the right choice. They're clear favourites to repeat next year(three in a row would be INSANE!) and another Heisman will only increase his stock even more. You're only young once and can you imagine how sweet college must be if you're the best QB in college football!! The only problem for him is that he's going to end up a Raider now. Poor guy...

How do you figure a Raider, have they traded for the no.1 pick next year, or do you just fancy them to be pants? would love to see my team the bengals get him even if they do already have Carson Palmer.

The Raiders will suck donkey next year. Palmer is a player and will be a FAR better QB in the Pro's than Leinhart!!! The Bengals are begining to come together but i think they could use some help on the Oline. Maybe even a dominating RB if Perry doesnt work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

any idea what type of player the jets will go for

The Jets will go with an Offensive tackle probably. Although if Heath Miller (Tight End) drops to them then they may be tempted to take him. Not too many screaming holes on the Jets. Maybe a kicker in the third! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

in a nut shell could someone explain how the draft works.

is it true that the chargers got first pick in the draft and picked a player that never actually played a game this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

In a nutshell, all 32 teams from the NFL have 7 picks from the draft. The draft includes all NCAA eligible players (i think - not sure). If you finish with the worst record in the season you get the 1st pick - which is usually the best player. If you win the superbowl, you get the 32nd pick in each round (7 rounds). Draft picks can be traded with other teams also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

eoinf wrote:
    in a nut shell could someone explain how the draft works.

is it true that the chargers got first pick in the draft and picked a player that never actually played a game this season

Not strictly true. The Chargers picked Eli Manning with the first pick, but then traded him to the Giants for Phillip Rivers. Manning played, Rivers didn't.

Interestingly, the Chargers picked Ryan Leaf (biggest bust ever, probably)with the 2nd overall pick in '98. They could have picked Matt Hasselbeck.

In 2001, they traded away the #1 pick to Atlanta, who picked Mick Vick. The Chargers picked Ladanian Tomlinson at #5, and then picked Drew Brees in round 2!! Brees is the guy who kept Rivers out last year.

The entire Eli Manning/San Diego fiasco last year made the first round of the draft pretty exciting. Eli stated he didn’t want to play in San Diego and that he would rather hold out than play there, wanting instead to go to New York. The Chargers opened trade talks with The Giants. They didn’t agree on the trade so San Diego selected Manning anyway, which surprised the hell out of a lot of people. The ended up trading him to NYG after the Giants took Philip Rivers, for River a second rounder and this years New York 1st rounder.

Seems to have worked out well for San Diego with they’re vastly improved team and the multitude of picks they have this year they look in good shape. The only downside is that The Chargers actually wanted to get Big Ben Rotheilsberger and not Philip Rivers who was a bit of a reach.

Expect to see the Eagles be one of the biggest movers this year, with rumours linking them to a move up to 15 to secure the services of Elton Brown, who along with Shaun Andrews(last years 1st round pick) should give them one of the most dominant interior line’s in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

So, who do you guys think will the 49ers pick?

I’ve a feeling it’s going to be Mike Williams. I know he missed a year but this guy is as good a prospect as one could hope for at WR. He’s the next T.O. If they decide to go QB then it’ll be Alex Smith of Utah or Arron Rodgers of Cal. The only other possibility is Derrick Johnson the Hurricane linebacker. This guy is the next Derek Brooks!! Of course this could all change after combines/free agency. Especially if the rumours surrounding a move for Drew Bree’s comes to fruitition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

didnt see this one coming, randy moss to raiders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1998159

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

According to this, Smith really impressed in his private workout. Being hotly tipped for the #1 picked QB and possibly #1 pick overall. Certainly a top 5 I reckon.

Advertisement