Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave Issue

Options
  • 28-01-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

At home I am using Ripwave working from the Montrose IBB site and have not received a signal for the past 4 days.

Anyone else experiencing any problems from the Montrose site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Im using it ok. I have managed to smash the upright antenna on my modem though. :(

It still works anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

How far are you from the tranceiver? I'm about 2.3 clicks and the best I get now is red. When it does actually lock on. THe coverage map has been severely reduced in the past few weeks and I'm outside of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I am about 1.5 miles (too lazy to convert that to KM) as crow flies away from Montrose.

It's really odd. I have an amber light, now though my router "test line" option is not getting a signal. I rebooted ripwave and router a few times but no joy. Have tried all PC's but no joy.

My wife will be happy - an internet free weekend - AGAIN !!

Thats much the same distance as me. Ripwave is just a terrible product and doesn't seem like it's likely to improve. I've had it since September and it's gotten steadily worse. Waste of time trying to use it any evening. Unfortunately it's my only option in a rented apartment. This looks promising though. From the news yesterday

Eircom has announced that it is to offer free telephone connections to all households who do not currently have a standard telephone line. This offer will be available between 7 February and 31 March and will include a free Sky installation, including a free Sky dish and digibox. Additionally Eircom has extended its free broadband trial until 31 March.

But have you been able to get an internet connection? I have none for the past few days. Even tried hooking my laptop upto Ripwave directly and useless.

• Advertisement

I've been getting a Red light connection but it drops very regularly. Also when it does stay red I get a message saying there is little or no connectivity. Completely unreliable.

I was getting a red ligh connection when I got ripwave first. But then I put the ripwave box into my atic and got an immediate green light and connected it up to a wireless router and was having very few ripwave issues.

Until last week ! No idea what the story is with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Dummy wrote:
    Until last week ! No idea what the story is with it.

I was thinking of getting this. Did u call them? Perhap they'll give you a new ripwave unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Im absolutly pissed off with the IBB ripwave service, i mean i would'nt put my life on it trying to connect to the net through it, and when you can it disconnect's on you. Completly unrealible, im moving to eircom even if its dearer, atleast ill have a constant service and the freedom to move around my house uning the wireless router.
    IBB. You've just lost yourselves another customer.

I was on to IBB twice yesterday evening. No joy yet.

Sparky - Eircom is not an option with me. For me that would be like going from the frying pan into the fire based on too many very bad experiences.

For this to work, I need the wireless router based in the attic so get have good coverage all over the house. And divorce proceedings would start pretty pronto if I tried to run phonelines up to the attic.

Am stuck between the rock and the.........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm normally the first to jump on the IBB bashing bandwagon.

But the past couple of weeks (in Blackrock) are the best it's been in ages.
    I'm supposed to be coming off the Montrose mast (the very edge of it) so I don't know what the craic is.

I'm sorry to hear others aren't so fortunate - I'd hoped the reliability was a sign that IBB had got their act together. Obviously not.
    Of course when I say reliable - I mean I can always connect - though I still get kicked off regularly.

That's it - I've jinxed it now... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

When I lived on Leeson street I had no luck on the Montrose mast all. However I am now on the quays on the guinness mast and I get an amber coloured light. Its always dodgy on a sunday night but most of the time I get good speeds, multiple downloads and surfing so I am happy with it.

Moo

well ive e-mailed IBB to ask can they configure my modem to stay locked to RTE's transmitter since ive been getting up to 497kbps compared to 45-78kbps on 3rock, they must have a sixth sence, knowing that im getting eircom's service aswell.

they must have a sixth sence, knowing that im getting eircom's service aswell.
    Maybe they're watching boards...

Is your real name Sparky Snips? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

They are definitely watching boards... I've been rowing with them for the last fortnight, and have decided to go NTL. On the phone I said to them that they should cop on, dont they know they're being lambasted on boards, the only way they'll keep business is to deal with their customers and provide the service they say they will.
    The reply.... oh yeah I've seen that! no comment on how sorry blah blah, just crap about if I tried the connection at 4 in the morning it would be flying... crap

They are definitely watching boards...
    It must be pretty demoralising just the same.

Mind you, it's human nature that people usually only speak out to complain.
    Punters don't usually pop up to tell you how great a service they're getting!

But nothing beats a good rant! (Well almost nothing).

Is your real name Sparky Snips? ;)
    If it was my real name, god IBB would be on to me. :)

Advertisement