Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED 22lr AR15 lookalike

Options
  • 28-01-2005 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

Does anyone have one or know where I could aquire such from a dealer or privately in the 26 counties??
    Either the AR full rifle or the CAR version.
    if anyone has/had one ,have they had any hassle from the Gardai about it?Like incessant checks to see it at the station or demands for ballistic checks.PM me with the details about this.
    Many thanks
    irish glock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I sold a couple of Southern Gun Company Speedmasters a few years ago, no hassle at all to import or licence. The guards who inspected them when imported expressed the opinion that they were fairly cool. :)The only problem was the cost - £1700 in 2000!

SGC have a trade pricelist and will export to any dealer in Ireland.

There have also been plenty of the crap Armi Jagers sold over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ger Scully in Athlone was 'supposed' to have .22LR AR14 type rifles of some sort in stock a while before Christmas. Wasn't there myself, so I can't say for sure.

Was talking to a guy at the Midland range who was firing what I think was one of these-
    http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/rifle.php?itemid=105

Whatever it was, he got it in Athlone and said there were more.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

the ar's in midland that i know of are 2 bremmer arms rifles in .22 , there are also several .223 sgc rifles as well . I dont know any sgc .22s at midland , Scully is stocking the bremmers , careful though the mags are a plague for jamming and quite expensive for the bremmer, the sgc has a good 25rd mag made by sgc themselves milled by cnc and it gets better reports,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Somthing is fishy here!I rang Ger and asked him what i was looking for.[22lr semi in AR15]He said that they were unavailable here anymore that there were a few imported and that some were pulled in ,others were left alone.And that a dealer who was importing them,had his entire stock confiscated and was involved in a court battle to retrive them!
    This is what i was mooting about garda hassle on these.
    Is this again
    another "they are making it up as they go along" garda policy? :confused:

Oldzed
    who is bremmer arms??I cant find much if anything about them.

Somthing is fishy here!I rang Ger and asked him what i was looking for.[22lr semi in AR15]He said that they were unavailable here anymore that there were a few imported and that some were pulled in ,others were left alone.And that a dealer who was importing them,had his entire stock confiscated and was involved in a court battle to retrive them!
    This is what i was mooting about garda hassle on these.
    Is this again
    another "they are making it up as they go along" garda policy? :confused:
    Perhaps I was being fed a line of carp, but the guy I spoke to said he got his (whatever it was) in Scully's.
    who is bremmer arms??I cant find much if anything about them.
    I think it's a bit of badge engineering with Parker Hale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 laurence t.

i have seen one or two of these rifles about a number of years ago so you may be able to obtain a secound hand one.
    I was told by a dealer recently of an import licence for a Walter G22 that was refused because it was too military looking!

If it is was parker hale.The Ar15 and the bolt action sniper rifles are made now by sabre defence in the UK.[www.sabredefence.com].

If there is this BS about "too military looking "rifles going around,that is somthing that seriously needs to be remidied in our Gardai thinking. if it is a ligit calibre semi auto 22 plinker,what is the damn problem here??
    I mean even the humble magazine loaded bolt action was a hundred years ago THE military rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I was told by a dealer recently of an import licence for a Walter G22 that was refused because it was too military looking!
    *sigh*
    Sounds like the relevant people need to have a quiet cup of coffee with someone who can give them a bit more of a briefing on how these things should be evaluated.

Mind you, I understand the G22's not that hot anyway, apparently the trigger's not terribly good because of the bullpup design. Now the new Baikal rifle, that looks more interesting. And the 10/22, well, okay it's rebuild city, but still - huge support base, good price/performance ratio, etc.
    Did take a peek at the G22 in the shop over in Bisley. Have to say, wasn't hugely impressed with the aesthetics either - I can't put my finger on it, but something about the look is just, well, off. It just doesn't look right for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sparks, Baikal have a particular talent for releasing new innovative designs that never see the commercial light of day. This coupled with their unique attitude to quality control (I've seen more than a couple new Baikal shotguns that were so out of spec they couldn't be assembled out of the box) that they're a brand I'm wary of.

Avoid Bremmer/Parker Hale. They went bankrupt a few years ago and any guns out there now are ex-liquidation stock. Spares and guarantee support will be doubtful.

There was a question on some of the 22lr AR15 types about how close some of them were to their 5.56 ancestors (back when this was an issue). Some of them were rumoured to only consist of a 22lr adapter in the original 5.56 barrel - hence the worry, which proved unfounded in the end.

civdef wrote:
    Sparks, Baikal have a particular talent for releasing new innovative designs that never see the commercial light of day.
    Hope not in this case though civ, that rifle just looks so.... can you call a rifle "pretty" without needing to make a major lifestyle choice? :D

mr141k.gif
    This coupled with their unique attitude to quality control (I've seen more than a couple new Baikal shotguns that were so out of spec they couldn't be assembled out of the box) that they're a brand I'm wary of.
    Granted, but then again, the Toz-35, the ISH-46 and the IZH-35M were all fairly outstanding!

• Advertisement

There was one of those at the Midland range a couple of weeks ago too!
    :D:D:D

Rovi wrote:
    There was one of those at the Midland range a couple of weeks ago too!
    Didn't get a chance to see if the rumours about its trigger were true, did you Rovi?

Sparks wrote:
    Didn't get a chance to see if the rumours about its trigger were true, did you Rovi?
    Afraid not :(
    I saw it in one of the racks as I was leaving, and didn't have time to go looking for the owner for a chat (and perhaps a few shots).

Talked to Ger this morning.He said the AR15 .223 bolt actions or 22lr semis are NOT importable into Ireland.The DOJ classifies them as "military weapons".
    So I guess SMLES and Mausers are off the menu as well??
    Intresting to note originally it was supposedly the gaurds with the look problem,now it is the DOJ.
    However Ger did suggest that it might be possible to do these on a individual importing one for themselves.Looks like i will have to go that way.

Another new term from the DOJ...Really got to wonder do they employ anyone with a knowledge of firearms at all?

Talked to Ger this morning.He said the AR15 .223 bolt actions or 22lr semis are NOT importable into Ireland.The DOJ classifies them as "military weapons".
    Another new term from the DOJ...Really got to wonder do they employ anyone with a knowledge of firearms at all?

Gah. Like I've said before, a quiet word with the lads&lasses over a cup of coffee is warranted...

Advertisement