Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to be an AmFoot Referee?

Options
  • 27-01-2005 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If you would like to learn more of the rules and become a referee for the irish american football league you can! It's simple.

On the 12th/13th of Februaury in the Ocean Bar dublin there will be a refereeing clinic and exam. 10am to 6pm on both days - costs nothing. Rule books and equipment supplied to you.

If you want more info feel free to email steve@iafoa.org for more info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is this an annual event? I reckon I wouldn't be up to scratch for this year, but I'd definitely consider it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Yes it is annual neil. There's no need to worry about not being up to scratch as there are people who attend it that know very little of the game at all. (not the sort of people that you want throwing flags at you!)

From what I heard from the people I knew that went to last years one was that it was very instructive and easy to pick up. The test isn't hard - its all situations ... hold on ill get the test and post up a few of them ...

1)On an onside kick from the A35 the balls rolls to the A48. A falls on the ball at the A48. Prior to the ball going 10 yards an A player blocked a B player above the waist from the front.

2)On the opening kickoff, B catches the ball and runs it to the A20. Prior to B catching
    the ball, B blocked below the waist at the 50. During the run B clipped at the A45.

3)On the opening Kickoff of the game B muffs the kick in the end zone. The ball rolls
    to the B5, is muffed a couple of times and ends up back in the end zone and out the
    end line.

4)2nd and Goal on the B5. The Tailback runs to the B2 and dives toward the goal line, and at the B1 fumbles the ball into the end zone. While the ball is loose in the end zone, the Linesman blew his whistle. B recovers the ball in the end zone.

5)1st and 10 on the A30. The pulling Right Guard and Blocking Back at the A28 simultaneously block the Defensive End – one high, one low – as the Tailback runs to the A45.

First 5 from a 50 situation test. From my experience of the game (4 years) I would be able to give some of the current refs a run for their money.

I do hope you try out for it - we need all the refs we can get in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'd love to do it as I make calls myself if I can spot something going on TV, if I'm up to nothing those 2 days I'll make the trip up to see what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Just bumping this up as its on next weekend.

Remember its free, you just have to turn up.

Advertisement