Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-decorating an Apartment

Options
  • 27-01-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Few questions here!
    An "aquaintance" of mine owns an apartment in Waterford but lives in Dublin and as I'm living in Waterford at the moment she has asked if I might look into doing up the apartment - its probably about 8 or 10 years old and doesn't seem to have too many major problems, most just superficial things.

Firstly, there is no oven in the apartment - just an electric hob and microwave. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much an electrician would charge to fit an oven?

The owner also wants to fit wooden floors (the cheap kind, not solid ones) into both bedrooms - I dont have the exact measurements of rooms yet but there is a fairly standard size single room and another standard size double room. Roughly how much would these floors cost to lay?

I also have to give her an idea of how much I'm going to charge for doing everything else - will be painting (kitchen, sitting room, small bathroom, and the two bedrooms), cleaning everywhere as the place has been left in quite a dirty state by last tenants, fitting out apartment with new furniture(cost of which will be paid by owner), and just any other general bits and pieces that need to be done. Would anyone have a rough idea as to what would be a fair price to charge for all that. There will be two of us involved in doing all the work so any price charged will be split. I know how much I charge is going to depend on time taken etc but can anyone give a rough guide as to what would be the 'norm' for this kind of thing?

Thanks a lot - sorry for the long post!

Julie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

kerin wrote:
    Few questions here!
    An "aquaintance" of mine owns an apartment in Waterford but lives in Dublin and as I'm living in Waterford at the moment she has asked if I might look into doing up the apartment - its probably about 8 or 10 years old and doesn't seem to have too many major problems, most just superficial things.

Firstly, there is no oven in the apartment - just an electric hob and microwave. Does anyone have any idea roughly how much an electrician would charge to fit an oven?

The owner also wants to fit wooden floors (the cheap kind, not solid ones) into both bedrooms - I dont have the exact measurements of rooms yet but there is a fairly standard size single room and another standard size double room. Roughly how much would these floors cost to lay?

I also have to give her an idea of how much I'm going to charge for doing everything else - will be painting (kitchen, sitting room, small bathroom, and the two bedrooms), cleaning everywhere as the place has been left in quite a dirty state by last tenants, fitting out apartment with new furniture(cost of which will be paid by owner), and just any other general bits and pieces that need to be done. Would anyone have a rough idea as to what would be a fair price to charge for all that. There will be two of us involved in doing all the work so any price charged will be split. I know how much I charge is going to depend on time taken etc but can anyone give a rough guide as to what would be the 'norm' for this kind of thing?

Thanks a lot - sorry for the long post!

Julie
    Estimating about €50 to wire an oven and about €15-€20 sq yd to fit the floors

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

As regards to painting your not a tradesman so you cant charge her tradesman prices.I'd give yourself and your mate a weeks wages of around 300euro each,thats of course if it takes a week for you to do painting.The 300euro works out i suppose at the minimum wage of 7euro if im right(not 100%).This is ofcourse probably into your hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kerin

Will have to go over tomorrow and measure up for the floor then to see how much roughly to fit it. €50 for the oven sounds pretty good!
    Yeah Mad M we wouldn't charge tradesman prices. We were thinking along the lines of around 800-1000 for the whole lot (painting, cleaning, decorating, sorting out furniture etc) between us. Sound about right?
    Enough to maybe pay for a holiday somewhere hot to get away from this rotten weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yup sounds reasonable to me..Goodluck with it and if you jet away,enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kerin

Great , thanks for info. Just didn't want to be completely ripping her off!! Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement