Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Had a visit from the Crime Prevention Officer

Options
  • 27-01-2005 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Well, after I gave the nice Guard in the local station a good laugh by applying for 2 rifle licences at the same time (.22LR and .243Win) back in December, I got a call from the local Crime Prevention Officer yesterday morning. He wanted to pop out and have a look at my gun storage and security facilities.

“No bother” sez I, “Right so” sez he.

He duly arrived around 4pm, and after he introduced himself and flashed his badge (and politely refused a feed of coffee and cake), I gave him the tour.

He proclaimed himself very impressed with my well disguised gun safe and separate ammo safe, and wished that everyone he visited was as well set up :)

He asked if I was applying for a handgun licence, and was visible relieved when I said I wasn’t………………………… yet.
    Not sure what to make of that, and I’m afraid I didn’t press him too hard on what he meant. :confused:

He left saying that he’d be writing up a good report on my setup, so here’s hoping I’ll hear good news from the Super in due course.
    :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sounds rather civil and easy to accomodate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Not knowing a whole hell of a lot about shooting. May I ask why one would need a handgun license, and by that I mean a handgun?

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Not knowing a whole hell of a lot about shooting. May I ask why one would need a handgun license, and by that I mean a handgun?
    Why would you need a licence? Because we don't have a constitutional right to have firearms. Why would you need a handgun? Because one third of the olympic disciplines, half the silhouette disciplines, and all of the bullseye and practical pistol events require them. Also, if you can legally own a .338 lapua magnum rifle (which could in theory crack the engine block on a landrover from a mile away), why would air pistols be more dangerous to own?

And it should be noted that McDowell himself has said that target shooters and hunters are no danger to the public safety and so shouldn't have such restrictive legislation; and we do have a constitutional right to do anything that's not illegal, so basicly, since it's not illegal to own them if we meet the requirements of a licence, there's no reason we shouldn't own them. (That's not so much an "Oi, you'll give 'em to us or else!" as a "We don't misuse them, we do bring home medals and provide a safe sport for large numbers of people, we even provide rehabilitative activities for stroke victims and the disabled, so why would anyone want to shut that down?").

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Looks like I'm due one of these visits soon (pistol application), probably the same CPO that visited Rovi. I also seemingly need an alarm system.

What standard of alarm system is expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Wonder what the cops would say if they saw the 40000 bb rounds in my wardrobe :D

• Advertisement

Wonder what the cops would say if they saw the 40000 bb rounds in my wardrobe :D

If you're not careful they could say something along the lines of "I'm arresting you under Section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act..."

Anyone got anything constructive to post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

civdef wrote:
    What standard of alarm system is expected?
    I don't know that an alarm was actually NEEDED in my case, as I'm looking for extra rifle licences, but he was certainly happy to see one.
    My alarm is an older non-monitored one, and he was okay with that.

He did, however, recommend that upgrading to an "EN 50131" compliant monitored alarm would be a worthwhile thing to do just from a general security point of view. Whatever that means :confused:

I did a bit of checking with PhoneWatch, and they want approx. €2500 to make my place fully EN 50131 compliant :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    They'd basically chuck out my existing system and fit all new stuff.
    Like that's gonna happen!!! :D

I'm looking at extending it myself :)

I don't know what he'll be looking for for a pistol licence, but I'd imagine that a monitored set-up would be better.

Brown envelope in the post this morning, containing 2 versions of the following:

<quote>
    Dear Rovi

Re: your application for a Rifle Firearm Certificate.

With reference to the above, I wish to inform you that your application for a Rifle firearm certificate in respect of a Rifle (Bolt Action) bearing the identifying Number ****** has been successful. Your certificate ****** is ready for collection at ****** Garda Station on production of this letter and payment of a €38 fee. If you are a member of a gun club please bring your valid membership card.

Please ensure that the weapon details recorded above are correct.

Yours sincerely,

signature
    SUPERINTENDENT
    </quote>

WOOHOOOO!!! :D:D:D

I guess I know where I'll be going this afternoon :)

Congratulations Rovi, now you know the next thing you have to do, right?
    Yup, it's photo time :D

Well, that and start planning the next purchase...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

rovi did u apply for the license when you started this thread. that was about 3 weeks ago and you got the license already.
    The guards work fast in your area its a pity is not like that here where i live i was waiting for my license for about 8-10 weeks :(

E@gle. wrote:
    rovi did u apply for the license when you started this thread.
    Nope, I applied back in December, the 21st I think.

The Crime Prevention Officer inspected my security set-up on the 27th January, and the licenses arrived today (Feb. 17th).

So, it took about 2 months (including Christmas).
    Not bad, especially considering I've already got a rifle license (.22LR), and was looking for 2 more (.22LR, and .243Win) :D

Advertisement