Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Folio Society

Options
  • 26-01-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Has anybody heard of this crowd? My dad got a mailing from them the other day asking him to join their book club* and I'm wondering if they are legit or if its just some feckers that'll never go away if we respond to the letter.

It looks like they have some nice books but i dont want to get screwed.

I'm guessing they are the same company as this site: http://www.foliosoc.co.uk/index.php

*: With the obligitory free gift, 4 books at low low prices :rolleyes: and a promise to buy 4 books at the normal prices within 4 weeks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rest assured, they are who and what they say they are. That's their website, alright. The books are top quality. I have bought €3000 worth of books off them in the last four years and have yet to be disappointed.

When buying books, if you're going to, some of the books you might choose may not yet be in print. Don't worry about this, you get them in the end.

If you or your pa are interested in book collecting, they're worth a look.

email me if you have any doubts (about me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Again, they're legit and their books are beautiful.

Of course, you should only use them to buy books you love and read over and over again. If you're just curious about a book in their catalogue, simply read the paperback first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for the replies. It’s nice to know they are legit although I'm still curious about where they got our address from. I would like to get some of the books from the leaflet that came with the letter but I'm just worried about being committed to buying 4 more from the catalogue. Do they have a good range? I'd hate to have to spend money on some books that I wasn't interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I have purchased books from The Folio Society for years. One of the advantages is they only print on acid free paper, which stops pages turning brown, and their books also come with a protective slipcase.

I do not know of any other Bookclub that could come anywhere near them for pure classical quality titles. Worth every penny is my opinion, and their selection is also good Imho.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

JohnK wrote:
    although I'm still curious about where they got our address from.

Plenty of companies share their clients' addresses.

Every time you fill in a form these days the form has a little checkbox at the bottom telling you to check it if you don't want your addy shared. If you forget to do this on just one form, that's it, you're in the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for all the replies. Its nice to see that others have dealt with them so I think I'll give them a try.

Advertisement