Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB opinions

Options
  • 26-01-2005 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

I started my 3 month trial with IOL about a month ago. I was orignially going for IBB 1mb Breeze lite package, but them dragging there feet and some bad reports about them on here turned me away from them, so I canceled. Then earlier today they called wonder when they can install broadband :confused: and now I'm reconsidering getting BB from them.

Has it got any better recently?
    What are there speeds like?
    How are there pings for gaming?

I'll be going onto the Lucan mast, anyone have experience of this mast?
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

1Mb hardware is a lot more reliable than the old 512Kb stuff. I don't think there are many complaints about it.

- I've only had it a month so can't say yay/nay on reliablity myself
    - speed on bittorrent was about 126 kilobytes/sec, which isn't very far off the 128 max.
    - I've a slightly busy connection at the minute, but the pings average 31ms to the Radox server on jarhedz.com

(edit: btw I'm not connected to the lucan mast)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sounds good. If there bring the old equipment I'll turn it down as soon as I see it. I think I'll ring them tomorrow and get the 7day trial off them.

Is instillation free for DIT students?

They don't install the old equipment on the 1Mb package (or perhaps at all). It was a large ish wire parabolic antenna. The new one, I can't remember but it is a small enough diamond panel. Installation is free for all students (I thought).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The problems people are having now are not down to the "last mile" between the subscriber and the mast, it's down to lack of bandwidth in IBB's network or at transit links.

Should you go for it? Until I see months of stable service I don't think I could recommend it. The performance also varies significantly from location to location so it's difficult to use any feedback from users in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Sounds good. If there bring the old equipment I'll turn it down as soon as I see it. I think I'll ring them tomorrow and get the 7day trial off them.

Is instillation free for DIT students?

YES :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I think I may also get this trial, 512 is just not enough anymore, has anyone any experience using the Ballycoolin - Blanch 1MB breeze lite service?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

rob1891 wrote:
    They don't install the old equipment on the 1Mb package (or perhaps at all). It was a large ish wire parabolic antenna. The new one, I can't remember but it is a small enough diamond panel. Installation is free for all students (I thought).
    whats the new equipment called?
    im filling out the order form now and theres a box for comments/extra requirements and i want to put in "give me new hardware or die" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I had the 1mb Breeze package installed about 2 weeks ago. The equipment they use is Alvarion. Which is about the best wireless kit you can use. I am connected to the Lucan node and can say that so far the service is excellent. The ping times are alot better than when I was using the UTV Internets DSL service.

Great to hear, I'm going to ring them in a few minutes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

you dont need to ring them
    just download the pdf order form from their website

• Advertisement

I had to ring them to set a date for the install.

There coming on Friday \o/. I thought it was going to be at least two weeks.

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can get free instilation as a student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

My year with Eircom will be up next month and i am fairly interested in this, in Santry so would be on the Glasnevin mast, anyone with any experience with this?

rob1891, those download speeds sound pretty savage,i usually get about 25-35 with Eircom,i know you dont have it that long but have you been getting it at that speed the whole time?

id be interested in whether you do actually get free installation for students aswell

EDIT: just saw that theres a mast in Ballymun so it would be this one id be on i suppose, anyone on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Yup,I'm on the Ballymun mast, download speeds and pings are usually good,although the past couple of days have neen a bit flaky on the ping front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm in Deansgrange and I'm delighted so far with my Breeze installation. Very fast downloads at all times, though gaming pings vary, even peer-to-peer, but I can work around that!

ubu wrote:
    rob1891, those download speeds sound pretty savage,i usually get about 25-35 with Eircom,i know you dont have it that long but have you been getting it at that speed the whole time?

I've actually ran out of disk space so my bittorrenting days are over for one :eek: I've done some some transfering of files between home and elsewhere and speeds are very good, uploading around the 126 kilobyte level for over an hour, so I'm still very happy with the difference the new equipment has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've had IBB breeze (the 512 package) for just over a year. I'm gonna cancel once something better comes up because i've often gotten sub 1kb download speeds. I've given up emailing them (to be fair they are very good) but the problem keeps persisting. One day will be fine, the next it'll be a sham. my average download speed is around 10 - 15kb, very rarely more than that. I;ve actually used the net LESS because of it.

I'm on the ballycoolin tower.

Apparently NTL is in my area but not on my road :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Q_Ball you are using the old equipment. Ask them for the new equip I think you get it when you upgrade to 1Mb.

There installing it now \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Let us know your Speed and pings.

Pings to boards.ie are between 50ms-100ms.

Downloads are 120KB/s +

• Advertisement

ping are a bit high but speed is nice getting mine friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

mine tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Ciaran500, what was the story with the installation, did you have to pay for it?

I've just rang them and they said only some college students can get discounts. I'm in DIT and can't get it free.

Dcu and portobello are ment to be the two which are free. i asked them.

Does the person that orders the BB have to be in DCU or can I just get a lend of my friends ID?

i dunno being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Does the person that orders the BB have to be in DCU or can I just get a lend of my friends ID?

Well im in dcu and i gave my id to get it.

but when i was getting ripwave they didn't ask me for
    id.

yet they did ask for proof for Breeze. :rolleyes:

just ring them and find out. best way.

if they say no then try to get the guy from dcu to use his
    account ........ if he lets you.....lol

I'm getting some amazing pings now.

Boards.ie:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.131.130:
    Packets: Sent = 38, Received = 38, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: