Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Williams?

Options
  • 26-01-2005 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry this must sound like a stupid question to the die hard fans but is Ricky Williams playing this year?, I've only seen one game all season and it was last weekend but I heard he wanted to come out of his early retirement..did he return to Miami or whats his story...he's one hell of a runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There was a lot of rumours surrounding Rickie Williams. A lot of people think he failed a drug test for recreational drugs, and was told to either quit them, or quit football, and subsequently quit football. (this was last summer we are talking about now)

Now according to his own proclaimation on 60 minutes, he had failed two drug tests (results of which are not made public) and was on his way to failing a third (results of which would be made public). So he quit in order to not let his family find out he had consumed marijuana.

I couldn't tell you what the story is on him now. Last I heard, he had enrolled in a university to study holistic medicine. I'd say the college football team were delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Neil3030 wrote:
    There was a lot of rumours surrounding Rickie Williams. A lot of people think he failed a drug test for recreational drugs, and was told to either quit them, or quit football, and subsequently quit football. (this was last summer we are talking about now)

Now according to his own proclaimation on 60 minutes, he had failed two drug tests (results of which are not made public) and was on his way to failing a third (results of which would be made public). So he quit in order to not let his family find out he had consumed marijuana.

I couldn't tell you what the story is on him now. Last I heard, he had enrolled in a university to study holistic medicine. I'd say the college football team were delighted!

He wouldn't be eligible to play college ball. There are strict eligibility rules for college ball. For one, you are only eligible for four seasons, and Ricky has had his four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

AFAIK - and i havnt read up on the ricky story in quite a while- but afaik he HAS to come out of retirement to play at least one season somewhere so that he wont face bankruptcy (ack sp?). The amount of fines he got from leaving was unreal ... some rumours were in excess of $30million .. rumours is the key word. I think he will come back for a season or two. If not next season then the season afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

He's a helluva player... I can't see why he wouldn't just stop doing the M.J for the sake of the game. When he first retired they said he fell out of love with the game but I mean...even if I fell out of love with it I'd do it for the amount of money he gets and all those months off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

The guy is an idiot. The only team who’ll be interested in him is the Raiders, who made an inquiry at the beginning of the season to get the rights to him as he had expressed an interest in returning. I’d be surprised if he does come back. And the asking price would be at least 2 1st round draft choices which would be a stupid amount to give up for a guy with that much baggage. This years draft will hurt his stock aswell since there are a load of top quality running backs coming out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement