Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a problem...

Options
  • 25-01-2005 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I've gone a bit mad with my first month of broadband and I'm around 2.5GB over the 8GB limit.

Just wondering will I get charged for it, gonna be around €75. And has anyone been charged for it yet??

Thanks,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

depends, what company are you with?
    judging by the 8gb limit and the €75 charge you've calculated i'm guessing eircom, afaik no one/very few have been charged for going over the limit,at least not just the once,cant say exactly though as i am with ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

I'm wit IOL actually, Eircom only gives you 8GB don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

No, eircom gives you 4GB cap minimum.
    But dont worry about it cause i dont think any company is enforcing their caps at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've gone over my limit (only by maybe 100mB though) once or twice with IOL BB Plus. They've never charged extra or suspended my account.

I wouldn't worry about it, EsatBT aren't very efficient when it comes to billing so even if they do charge for going over, they're not competant enough to apply it to your bill*

*Now waiting 12 months for EsatBT to sucessfully negotiate a direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I move 26GB ( more sometimes ) up and down every month and I have yet to be charged. IOL plus. Go ahead get what you want....when they start charginf I'll be the first to know eek.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭PaulMcG

Thanks for all the replies... hopefully I won't be charged then!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

PaulMcG wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies... hopefully I won't be charged then!

At the same time it is no harm to remember that any company that clearly states that there is a cap is well within their rights to charge you - even retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Is it only UTV that enforces the cap then? They even tell you how much you owe.
    Your current bandwidth usage this month is:

Incoming: 8373.2MB
    Outgoing: 4322.5MB

You have exceeded your monthly download allocation of 8GB (8192MB)

We estimate that your bill for excess bandwidth usage to date this period will be approximately €2.72
    NB: This figure is based on your usage up to 24/01/2005 00:25:04

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

jor el wrote:
    I've gone over my limit (only by maybe 100mB though) once or twice with IOL BB Plus. They've never charged extra or suspended my account.

I wouldn't worry about it, EsatBT aren't very efficient when it comes to billing so even if they do charge for going over, they're not competant enough to apply it to your bill*[/SIZE]

Esat don't actually give you a bill, paper or electronic for IOLBB (standalone)
    so if you were charged the first you would know about it is when you see your bank/credit card statement. Then you would have to call somewhere (you don't know what number) and...

[summary=esat don't issue paper bills + esat billing is a joke]

Advertisement