Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do I turn off engine management on a Toyota Yaris 1 litre 2002

Options
  • 24-01-2005 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭

How do I turn off engine management warning light on dash. The car appears to have no faults and drives perfect, any ideas?
    Thanks JD!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

How do you know it has no faults?. The same tool would be used to read and reset the CEL.

There should be a OBD Connector just above the fuse panel, or at least that's wehre I think it is. Someone with a OBD tool could read and reset the light as required.

Something as simple as a loose/leaking petrol cap could be triggering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

AMurphy wrote:
    How do you know it has no faults?. The same tool would be used to read and reset the CEL.

There should be a OBD Connector just above the fuse panel, or at least that's where I think it is. Someone with a OBD tool could read and reset the light as required.

Something as simple as a loose/leaking petrol cap could be triggering it.
    Much obliged, god be good to the days when laptops were not needed to be plugged into cars. I'll drive my 1990 Vectra 1.7D as long as I can, its a laptop free car!!!

With you there. Used to be the case you could start any or all the tractors with the dipstick (assuming it had a battery in the first place). now there are as complicated as the cars, if not more so. Self steering SAT nav is available for tractors, yet to make it onto the highway.

Nonetheless, EU manufacturers need to get out of the "keep it propriotery" mode and make this information available to the general public, or like you people will just ignore it, keep driving (and in many cases keep polluting), thus negating the requirement and intent of all this circutary and controls in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

AMurphy wrote:
    people will just ignore it, keep driving (and in many cases keep polluting), thus negating the requirement and intent of all this circutary and controls in the first place.

The intent of computers in cars, and big plastic engine covers, and having to remove your bumper to change your spark plugs etc etc is to make sure YOU do not service or work on your own car and that you bring it to a main dealer. Like built in obsolesence it is a simply a means to create extra revenue for the motor industry.
    I bet the ariel atom doesn't have an engine management system!

Not agreeing totally with you.
    The intent of the engine management systems is generally to improve efficiency, performance, comfort, reliability and in many cases, to comply with EPA regulations.
    However, the intent to keep the diagnostics and information propriotary IS to insure you do not stray far from the dealership and insure that the independant mechanic not affiliated with any particular brand become dinosaurs and more likely to do more damage than good. which was my point. ie if the non affiliated cannot get the infor and if the owner is not willing to pay the premium dealers demand.... performance (however you define it) goes to the wayside, hence the best intentions of the EPA and/or the manufacturers are negated in an instant.

There is no specific intent in making things difficult to repair. Eg, having to remove the engine to change a spark plug.
    Call this "Total Cost of Ownership". The manufacturers are only looking at cost of assembly, not of repair... there is no real benifit to them to make it easier or more difficult for you (or the dealer) to do repairs. ie, it's easy to be generous with other peoples money.

However, I do take you comment into account when selecting a new(er) vehicle. If I cannot get my hands on the items most likely to be checkes and/or replaced. I don't purchase. But, I'd say all the manufacturers are quiet happy to know that most people look at the dash/shell to make their decisions and not how difficult or easy it is to get at the plugs, filters, headlamp connector, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

shagman wrote:
    The intent of computers in cars, and big plastic engine covers, and having to remove your bumper to change your spark plugs etc etc is to make sure YOU do not service or work on your own car and that you bring it to a main dealer. Like built in obsolesence it is a simply a means to create extra revenue for the motor industry.

i also disagree. sensors are a great idea when they work. for example a luxury car on changing a gear just before it will slur the throttle to make a seemless shift. if your check engine light is on i would get it checked. how do u know ur catalytic converter isnt about to melt? also computers are very reliable. only a few hard working sensors need changing half way through a cars life. also as the gentleman said manufacturers dont give a monkeys within reason whether a car is easy or difficult to service. they are interested in fast production and again sensors help here again as computers once programmed do everything. no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

shagman wrote:

yeah, the Honda VTEC injection system works by cogs and pulleys.

:rolleyes:

Greenman wrote:
    How do I turn off engine management warning light on dash. The car appears to have no faults and drives perfect, any ideas?
    Thanks JD!!!!

should b under warranty if not bought first thing in 2002.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

lomb wrote:
    should b under warranty if not bought first thing in 2002.......
    Good point!!! dose warranty carry through if secondhand???

Regards JD!!!!

of course, its a toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I was thinking about this debate on computerised systems, thinking yea I hate them. Then I thought about my dads old cars which he bought new. Well if was raining you wer'e gonna be late. Its not that long ago. Today you go out to your car and would be amazed if it didn't start. Not so long ago it was quite the opposite. I wonder how many people have been tow started in a one year old car these days, Because it was a bit damp.

stratos wrote:
    ..... I wonder how many people have been tow started in a one year old car these days, Because it was a bit damp.

I think the Diesel solved that particular problem.
    However, point taken. I did have a Fiat 128 that would happily wade through deep water, but could not be left facing into the prevailing wind & rain as the dist was just inside the grill and got wet easily.

Hey did you ever see anything rot as quickly as a 128 boot lid. I believe they wer'e brought over here as kits and assembled in Ballyfermot.

dad used to have a fiat 128 SPECIAL so nah nah na nah na :D:D:D:D:D lovely rusty wine colour :D:D:D:D:D

stratos wrote:
    Hey did you ever see anything rot as quickly as a 128 boot lid. I believe they wer'e brought over here as kits and assembled in Ballyfermot.

If the boot lid was all that rusted.. I'd be very happy. Unfortunately the whole car got in on the act in a race to the scrap heap.
    it got to the point that if I jacked the car up behind the front wheel and opened the door, the headlights/front end dropped an inch or two.. the engine was great to go, unfortunately you never knew if the car would remain attached....When it rained a lake would gather behind the dash, which of course insisted on sloshing out on turn on the drivers side only.... so wellies were required, or pull your feet out of the way fast on turns... finally a tree began to grow in the passenger footwell..... Tank gauge permanetly stuck at 1/4 full, which caught several I loaned the car to.

By the time I abandoned it, it owed me nothing and in no danger of being stolen.

:) Amurphy your 128 sounds like mine did. Lomb I don't remember the 128 special, I remember the 124 special and the 124 specialt t.

stratos wrote:
    :) Amurphy your 128 sounds like mine did. Lomb I don't remember the 128 special, I remember the 124 special and the 124 specialt t.

apologies it was a 124 special, well spotted he also had a 128 that he sold after a few months spent more time in the garage than on the road :)
    can i ask why it was the special, did it have sports suspension or something?

I may be wrong on this but as far as I remember, the 124 special had twin headlamps, a bigger engine (I think 1500 instead of 1200), and stiffer rear suspension. The "124 special T" I think was a twin cam. I am sure people here could correct me in any details.

By the way just while I am here. Maybe this should be in the classic forum, anyway, does anyone rember like a sporty austin 1100? The little roundy cars was it like a 1300 gt or something (circa the 70's) . Or maybe a 1300 sprint ( I know there was a Dolomite sprint). I can't quite remember the car am I imagining it ? I remember it had different wheels to the 1100.

btw, did GreenMan ever locate the OBD (EOBD) connector on his Toyota?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

stratos wrote:
    Sorry for the off-topic but I was wondering about your name, do you actually own a stratos? If so wow!, it's an amazing car, love it's looks.

55PDC_0148.JPG

Sorry Offler on the Stratos question ansewer sadly is no :( . Closest I ever came is I sat in one :)

Advertisement