Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just saw my first NTL ad for broadband!

Options
  • 24-01-2005 3:17am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Noticed a poster for NTL bb this evening near the Rialto entrance to James Hospital proclaiming that BB was now available in 'the area'.

Live in Kilmainham but still not available there!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Usually they'll include a "Sign up for broadband" flyer with your bill the instant it's been rolled out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

dub45 wrote:
    Noticed a poster for NTL bb this evening near the Rialto entrance to James Hospital proclaiming that BB was now available in 'the area'.

Live in Kilmainham but still not available there!!!!

That's only down the road from me! It's coming closer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Predje

anyone know of ntl bb around cabra or the city centre ?
    im getting restless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Predje wrote:
    anyone know of ntl bb around cabra or the city centre ?
    im getting restless.

I'm up in Ashington in cabra. Had it since Novwmber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

Does anyone know if they advise non current customers of the availability of BB?

If it were available here (Deansgrange area) I'd sign up immeadiatly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Does anyone know if they advise non current customers of the availability of BB?

If it were available here (Deansgrange area) I'd sign up immeadiatly.

NTL don't tell you in advance. They think that if they announce what areas are scheduled other providers will concentrate on that area. you won't be able to find out if your scheduled for next month, next year, or ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

That's on my street, and a week or two ago there were road works at the other end, and the signs said that they were for NTL. I'm not getting my hopes up until the flyer comes in the door, but what puzzles me is why NTL would be burying cables? I thought it all came over the cables that are running along the front of all the houses? Perhaps they've upgraded the link to some box at the top of the street that feeds us all?

I live in hope :)

Ciarán.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ceejay wrote:
    That's on my street, and a week or two ago there were road works at the other end, and the signs said that they were for NTL. I'm not getting my hopes up until the flyer comes in the door, but what puzzles me is why NTL would be burying cables? I thought it all came over the cables that are running along the front of all the houses? Perhaps they've upgraded the link to some box at the top of the street that feeds us all?

Ciarán.

Seeing as how they are advertising it why not give them a buzz or you can check here.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Infini wrote:
    I'm up in Ashington in cabra. Had it since Novwmber.

I'm towards NCR in cabra & NTL told me not available in my area - apt complex only built 2001 as well.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

any word on finglas/glasnevin??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

cableguy wrote:
    Plenty of cables under foot. The work carried out may have had nothing to do with the BB service. It could've been TV related. :confused:
    they have to install a new cabinet for each estate they do and I'm sure there'd have to be new cables laid to join this up with the existing network??

LFCFan wrote:
    they have to install a new cabinet for each estate they do and I'm sure there'd have to be new cables laid to join this up with the existing network??
    They don't actually. Some clever clogs came up with a device that allows them to run the broadband service over the existing cables. This is why the rollout has accelerated so much in recent months. Not sure if it requires a new cabinet though.

seamus wrote:
    They don't actually. Some clever clogs came up with a device that allows them to run the broadband service over the existing cables. This is why the rollout has accelerated so much in recent months. Not sure if it requires a new cabinet though.
    that's what I'm saying. The old system required each house/street to be upgraded but the new system only requires a cabinet with all the equipment in it and then new cables laid to join it up with the existing network. This is only for those estate that have 2 way cabling already. Older systems will require the cables to be upgraded.

LFCFan wrote:
    that's what I'm saying. The old system required each house/street to be upgraded but the new system only requires a cabinet with all the equipment in it and then new cables laid to join it up with the existing network. This is only for those estate that have 2 way cabling already. Older systems will require the cables to be upgraded.
    Ah. I had trouble understanding your post :p

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

VinnyL wrote:
    any word on finglas/glasnevin??

Just off the phone with NTL and was told it's available to me in Finglas (new estate near Jamestown Road if that makes a difference)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

ceejay wrote:

Ciarán.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those road works are actually because of me, ntl are laying some fibre and they needed to dig up part of the street. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

datk wrote:
    Just off the phone with NTL and was told it's available to me in Finglas (new estate near Jamestown Road if that makes a difference)

D

crikey thats not far from me in ballymun, im thinking of moving outta the old family mansion soon but theres no way im gonna pay for a new phone line etc in the hope that it will bb capable...but cable...*gets very excited and runs to bathroom*

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Hey datk
    that's great news about Jamestown road. I'm in very near you (Cedarwood, closer to Finglas village). I might give 'em a ring today and see what the story is, although I'm not holding out hope as the houses in our area are nearly 40 years old...

cableguy wrote:
    NO such thing as a two way cable. Its the equipment thats modified.

That's just a quick way of saying cable network that can send as well as receive, ie. Co-ax/fibre!! This is what I was told anyway. Older areas have Co-Ax only while the new, 2 way network has a mixture of Co-Ax and Fibre???

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

ro2 wrote:
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those road works are actually because of me, ntl are laying some fibre and they needed to dig up part of the street. :o

Damn you for getting my hopes up! :p

Ciarán.

• Advertisement

datk wrote:

D

i live just off the jamestown road, on sycamore road, and as of wednesday no luck!

and they wont release their rollout plan so i know squat till its out!

is it true ntl cant just activate a block, only certain estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

datk wrote:

D

Available in the Willow Park/Cedarwood/Pinewood area of Glasnevin North too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Skittle wrote:
    Hey datk
    that's great news about Jamestown road. I'm in very near you (Cedarwood, closer to Finglas village). I might give 'em a ring today and see what the story is, although I'm not holding out hope as the houses in our area are nearly 40 years old...

Oh ho! I didn't notice you there! I'm in the Pinewood area myself and it's available - so I'd imagine it's certainly good to go for you, as I know a few people who have it in Willow Park.

NoelRock wrote:
    Oh ho! I didn't notice you there! I'm in the Pinewood area myself and it's available - so I'd imagine it's certainly good to go for you, as I know a few people who have it in Willow Park.

I'm in sycamore Road (right beside willow park crescent) and i still cant get IT!! argghh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Hi VinnyL
    Just checked this morning and I still can't get NTL either :( . I'm in Cedarwood just behind you...

Man, so close and yet ... so far....

Skittle

An NTL guy called to the door today asking did I want broadband

I have an IOL BB trial at the moment - is NTL really better? I do like the no connection fee and it's cheaper - is it all it's cracked up to be?

D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

datk wrote:
    An NTL guy called to the door today asking did I want broadband

I have an IOL BB trial at the moment - is NTL really better? I do like the no connection fee and it's cheaper - is it all it's cracked up to be?

D

Have you just arrived on planet Earth? Just read a few NTL related threads.

dub45 wrote:
    Have you just arrived on planet Earth? Just read a few NTL related threads.

Yes, and I am liking your planet very much.

D

Skittle wrote:
    Hi VinnyL
    Just checked this morning and I still can't get NTL either :( . I'm in Cedarwood just behind you...

Man, so close and yet ... so far....

Skittle

yea how do they decide where to enable??!

if its not here by the end of the month then i wont bother anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement