Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cullen looks set to be cleared

Options
  • 23-01-2005 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

According to the sindo, Cullen looks set to be cleared of whatever it was that he was supposed to have done regarding this 'Monicagate' scandal.

It looks like it was a massive smear campaign, which is exactly how it has looked all along.

[of course this is according to the sindo...]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Inquiry Clears Government Minister Shock!

He was clearly not contucting his depts business "by the book" in the way he hired Leech (I dont buy the time contraints angle it suggets ineptitude) and if he was more humble this might do him some good. But he ain't humble!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think the point is that things are still done in an imperfect way. I believe that all sorts of questionable decisions, including hiring decisions, are made by ministers all the time. Plenty of jobs for the boys, etc.

That Cullen should be signalled out in this respect, for an indiscretion that at worst looks slightly inappropriate, indicates to me that this is a smear campaign. That so many crazy accusations about Monica Leech, conferences, expenses, affairs, etc., should should reach such an intensity indicates to me that this campaign was organised and the knives were out for him. That these accusations weren't put to bed immediately tells me that he has few friends.

In short, I don't believe that he has done anything in excess of the typical small time corruption and favouritism that we have all come to expect in this country. (How many of us have been fixed up for a job by a family friend?) If the government want to get extra tough on this sort of thing, then fine, I'd just prefer to see someone else get the hatchet for a change instead of a Waterford man.

It looks like the report(s) will state that although Cullen cannot be found to have breached any regulations, suggestions will be made on how to improve the regulations: fair enough, no fault of Cullen's.

Advertisement