Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Clothing:Duffel Coats

Options
  • 23-01-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Remember duffel (spelling?) coats :) i used to have one as a lad going to school, infact everyone had them. A source of mine believes they are coming back into style in Liverpool. I can imagine the socks pulled up over the tracksuit legs and the duffel coats! lol.

Something like shown here click

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was around when the original duffle coats were new...horrid things, heavy and in the damp smelly. If the "filler" material got wet they sort of rotted as I recall...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yep, it was like a kind of sheep wool type look on the inside, i had some tartan material on the outside :) wore it until it was way to small for me hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I had one do. they used to be twice as heavy when they got wet as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I had sickly green one as a kid, with a furry trim on the hood. All closed up I looked like Kenny from South Park.
    I think they might be coming into style her, I recently saw an attractive in-her-20s-ish women wearing one almost exactly like my childhood one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

had a grey one with tartan on the inside and tell me about it when it rained, you would be weighed down by it.

and the sad thing is, the way fasion is going, it wont be long before they are back in fasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Crucifix wrote:
    I had sickly green one as a kid, with a furry trim on the hood. All closed up I looked like Kenny from South Park.

the stylish "Lord Anthony" anorak with the acrylic fur hood lining that smelled like a dead cat especially when it got wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

yes they did weigh a ton when they got wet :) bring em back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

I remember every september being fitted for one.......the joys of being the eldest....most of my clothes had to be unisex as I was followed by 2 boys!!!

TBH I don't know who fared worse....me or my bros!! :)

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm proud to say I wear a duffel coat. Saw them when I was buying a new coat a couple of months ago. Couldn't resist. I hope they do come back so I can claim all the credit.

They're quality, so incredibly warm. Almost too warm. So warm that I have been tempted to sleep outdoors in it. Tempted. I haven't done it yet.

Mine's a classic tan colour, big feck off tooth buttons, sort of tartan on inside only a plain black/brown/tan mix instead of red or green or anything crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

I think they actually did make a small come back about 4 or 5 years ago. I bought a very nice one then in Jenny Vanders for £50.
    If anyone is interested in buying it for this years come back they are more then welcome... I only wore it a few times. It's the wool kind and dark navey.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Ah, the memories. I remember trudging to school in the snow in my nice warm beige (were they available in any other colour?) duffel.

For sheer cool though, I had a blue 'snorkler'. I remember being outside in the snow at school, and I was all zipped up in full 'snorkel' mode , when some fecker taking advantage of my lack of peripheral vision crept up behind me, piled a big handful on snow in and twisted the 'entrance hall' closed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

anyone know where you could get a navy or black one in mens sizes????

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Oh I had one too. Lord Anthony should be hung for crimes against school childrens fashion. God it stank no matter how careful you were.Ah yes "snorkel mode", that was funny alright with snowballs...
    I hated it really. And green shiny bomber jackets, remember them too.Another 80s crime of fashion.
    The horror of september brings it back, and the new shoes too bought in connollys. I hated september...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Plinket e Plonk

I had one too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Did ZIG or ZAG wear one on the DEN??? with Ian Dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I had a black one, with the red inner lining. There was another guy in my class who had an identical one and they did get confused sometimes. I always remember loving to bite the little strap that kept the hood up and even suck on it. Well I was only a small child at the time! :) Later I had a grey one, but I matured into different types of jackets after that! :)

Advertisement