Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mmmm, interesting idea?

Options
  • 22-01-2005 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I have an idea, go figure:)

But it seems a lot of us boardsers have home setups such as protools/cubase etc.. soooo, why don't we put a few tracks together?? :cool:

all from the comfort of our own bedrooms, someone can put a guitar track down, someone do the bass etc and someone can put vocals to it.. and if there are any drummers here who have the ability to record themselves then great, but if not then reason's yer man!!;)

What does everyone think, i know there are quite a few of us, but we could even split up the duties, i can play guitar on one track, and bass on another etc etc...

Who's with me? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Yeah cool I'll do that, I can record a guitar, bass, piano, or trumpet at the mo, no facility for drums.

Good idea though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

Sounds great, I can record guitar, bass, piano and drums (through v-drums so can save as a midi file also for smaller downloads) at the mo. Only thing is incompatability between software packages and sample rates of peoples hardware. Could be fun to try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Cool so what should we do?

Discuss a tempo, style and feel of the tune and record to a click track yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Sounds like a good idea! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Yeah cool. I can do guitar layers, bass, and the drums in reason. I need to get a new soundcard first though. Everyone has cubase right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

Everyone has cubase right?

Cubase SX 2.01 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i just have the pro tools fac bundle:)

i thought there would be a bit of interest, so we should do more than one i think cos we can't all play guitar on same track, maybe those with pro tools could do a track together and those with cubase could do another.. that way we could just email each other the correct cubase/protools session files, which will make it all easier to mix down in the end:)

so who has what programme?

i can put a guitar/bass track down and also drums through reason..

maybe bass should be the first thing recorded as it is part of the rhythm section, unless someone wants to put together a cool drum track?

I don't really care what kind of music or tempo it's at, whoever records the first instrument can decide that and send it on if they want.. but try and keep it all round, eg, i don't play jazz so i might find it slightly difficult putting down a guitar track to a jazz lick..

*edit* another decent idea is if any body sings and plays guitar? they could record a nice slow song and we could put lead and bass over it.. but if anyone can do that then make sure you do it to a click track so we're able to put drums to it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Were doing this over at http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk . I'm involved with the echoes attempt. All were doing is recording to metronomes and/or over each others stuff and lining it up by ear afterwards, not ideal but it seems to work anyways.

cool, maybe doin a cover would be good as then we'd all know what we are to be doin.. but that would just make it boring;)!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

feylya wrote:
    Reckon we should all get some sort of online collaboration going on. One of us records a backing track (drums, bass, rhythm guitar) and the rest of us layers over it, sending our parts back to one person to mix it. Just an idea...

Been reading the good Doctors journal, eh Dive Bomb???

• Advertisement

Huh? well no, but you quoted yourself:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It's a good idea but I've no recording setup on either computer. But the old desktop is getting pimped soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

John2 wrote:
    It's a good idea but I've no recording setup on either computer. But the old desktop is getting pimped soon

Hehe Pimp My Ride style! built in beer fridge, mini fountain, surveillance camera and karaoke machine i presume...!

of course and don't forget the wicked paint job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ive no cubase/equiv :(

maybe we could keep it old school ferdi and send tapes to each other and have a lo fi equivalent of this project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah, i'm all about the live preformance anyhow...

ok so who's actually willing to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I can do a fingertap bass solo using windows sound recorder :)

Hmm, I might once I get this ME-50. See what I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm assuming this would be a postal thing? 16bit 44.1kHz wav file = about 10mb per 1 minute track.

meh:D

does that mean it would be too much to attach to an email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

I have a certain cd. With a few certain software packages on it. And a few certain ways of making it work for free. Just to test it out like. *Cough*

Oh, and in relation to the postal thing, I also have a web server with a shed load of space. I could create a temporary subdomain which could be used if neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    meh:D

does that mean it would be too much to attach to an email?

Stereo drum tracks, 3 minutes, 60mb
    Bass, 3 minutes, 30mb
    Each 3 minutes of guitar contribution, 30mb

It all adds up and Email no likee, plus if you don't have broadband, forget it.

daram wrote:
    I have a certain cd. With a few certain software packages on it. And a few certain ways of making it work for free. Just to test it out like. *Cough*

{insert picture of of shiffty eyed dog here}

Doctor J wrote:
    Bass, 3 minutes, 30mb

i have broadband.... MUWA HA HA HA!!

Doctor J wrote:
    Bass, 3 minutes, 30mb

Well, that only needs to be sent to one person, who ever is doing the mixing. Send a compressed mp3 of that backing track to the various people and they send back a wav of their work to the person mixing.

The only reason email wont work is cause most providers wont allow big attachments. However, all hope is not lost. I have a server. I can create a folder to which everyone will be given a password. This folder can then be uploaded/downloaded to/from. Although the files would be big, the email problem has been avoided. And its free.

• Advertisement

It'd be interesting anyway. Would one person do the main/chorus riffs, someone else put the bass line down, then someone does drums and everyone else widdles over it or "textures" it?

Advertisement