Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleet quantities

Options
  • 21-01-2005 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/new_carriages.asp

Irish Rail go on about adding X number of DART carriages, Y number of intercity carriages and Z number of railcars. But are these new announcements or are they merely the delivery of last year's orders. What are the total fleet numbers?

Dublin Bus publishes it's total fleet numbers quarterly, do other companies?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/about_us/double_decks.asp

Also fleet numbers (in the form XX 000) Do the letters at the start indicate bodywork and engine manucturers or are the random in some way?

RH RA RV AV DT - V seems to be Volvo and R, Alexander.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also fleet numbers (in the form XX 000) Do the letters at the start indicate bodywork and engine manucturers or are the random in some way?

RH RA RV AV DT - V seems to be Volvo and R, Alexander.

Yep.. the RH/A/V and AV/DT codes are used to indicate chassis and bodywork types alright (and in the case of the Rx class, can be used to identify the age: RH = 1990-1993, RA = 1994-1996, RV = 1997-1999) - did a quick search and found this (complete with pictures :) )

They also - mostly - correspond to the reg numbers too; RV601 = 99-D-601, AV128 = 00-D-70128 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

It appears that, that page of the IE site hasn't been updated for quite a while as it talks about the new depot under construction in Drogheda - it opened towards the end of 2003.

The 40 DART carriages are entering service at the moment.

What rolling stock is on order at the moment:

- 67 locomotive hauled carriages from CAF in Spain, to be used on the new rebranded Dublin - Cork service.

- 36 Diesel Multiple Unit carriages (DMU) from CAF in Spain, to be used on the improved Dublin - Sligo service. They will be formed into 9 * 4 car units.

- 120 DMU Carriages from Mitsui. Bodyshells to be built in South Korea and bogies/traction units in Japan. These will be formed into a mixture of 3 car and 6 car sets. To be used on all radial services from Heuston, except Cork - see above. Order has not been officially announced but is understood to have been awarded to Mitsui, according to an Rail industry magazine.

(Edited to correct a slight misunderstanding re the 120 vehicle order).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Totals for the various fleets of railcars are as follows:

2600 Class:
    16 coaches (i.e. 8 2-car sets)
    - All in service

2620 Class (currently numbered 2800):
    20 coaches (i.e. 10 2-car sets)
    - All in service

2650 Class:
    2 coaches (i.e. 1 2-car set)
    - Being refurbished at present to be delivered in 2005

2700 Class:
    24 coaches (i.e. 12 2-car sets)
    - All in service

2750 Class:
    2 coaches (i.e. 2 1-car sets)
    - All in service

2800 Class:
    36 coaches (i.e. 9 4-car sets)
    - To be delivered in 2005

2900 Class:
    80 coaches (i.e. 20 4-car sets)
    - All in service

Regional Railcars:
    To be ordered in 2005 for delivery in 2007:
    120 coaches formed as 10 x 6 Car units; 20 x 3 Car Units

DART Units:

8100/8300 Class:
    72 coaches (i.e. 36 2 car sets)
    - All in service but being refurbished during 2005 and 2006

8200/8400 Class:
    10 coaches (i.e. 5 2-car sets)
    - All in service

8601/8501 Class:
    28 coaches (i.e. 7 4-Car sets)
    - All in service

8621/8521 Class:
    40 coaches (i.e. 10 4-Car sets)
    - Being commissioned into service at present

Coaching Stock (excluding generator vans) in service:
    Cravens:41 coaches
    Mark 2d:61 coaches
    Mark 3:93 coaches
    Mark 3 Push/Pull:25 coaches
    Enterprise:28 coaches

CAF Mk 4:67 coaches on order for delivery in 2005

The arrival of the CAF Mk 4 coaches and the 2800 Class railcars should see the withdrawal from regular service of most of the Cravens and Mark 2d coaches.

The arrival of the 120 regional railcars will see the withdrawal of the remaining Cravens/Mark 2d and Mark 3 locomotive hauled stock.

I hope that this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does that come from anywhere in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

My own records to be honest....

Also, "Irish Railways Traction & Travel" by Peter Jones/Andrew Marshall - Offers a full comprehensive fleet list of both IE and NIR

• Advertisement
Advertisement