Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning spanish

Options
  • 18-01-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi I was just wondering what would be the best way to go about learning spanish? Would it be good to start learning the basics myself or go to spanish lessons say in the "Instituto Cervantes" from the very beginning! I'd appreciate any tips and advice you could give me

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 safin

The cervantes is supposed to be good, im starting there tonight, they have a lot of beginner courses.

ill let you know how it goes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

you can only learn so much on your own without instruction of proper grammer and word usage, I would suggest taking classes or getting yourself some learning tapes to start off with.
    ;)

I went to my 1st class at the cervantes last night, it was great a lot better then i expected, the teacher is really nice and friendly and its a nice informal atmosphere.

I think the memories of doing french at school haunted me, but it was nothing like that, the teacher speaks only the minimum amount of english,
    which is the best way to learn, and at the beginning everyone goes around the room introducing themselves in Spanish which is a great way of breaking the ice and relaxing.

definetely recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Can you tell me where is Instituto Cervantes please?

I started off learning Spanish with the Linguaphone course which I find excellent but I started taking weekly Spanish classes recently mainly to impose the discipline of weekly learning on myself. I found that with the Linguaphone course I'd make great progress one week and then not study it again for a month or more.

its :
    58 northumberland rd.
    Ballsbridge
    D4,

here is the website

http://dublin.cervantes.es/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

you can only learn so much on your own without instruction of proper grammer and word usage, I would suggest taking classes or getting yourself some learning tapes to start off with.

That's not necessarily true. It depends how motivated you are. I started learning on my own when I was 15 and while I was very slow getting started (probably about a year before I had basic vocab and grammar, but I was doing 10 GCSEs at the time), once I knew a bit I just kept going. I used a 'prepare for GCSE' book to learn the verbs and stuff but after that I just went on Spanish websites, recorded any Spanish film that was on, listened to music etc. I learned loads without even trying, really. I think that's the best way to learn because it's all concrete in my head, while I've forgotten all my German cos it was learned out of context from lists. Of course, for the conversation, practice with a native speaker is indispensible. Here in Dublin, they are easy to find.

yeah you do learn a lot from native speakers here, or better still
    go to spain for a month or so on an intensive course,

btw why are theyre so many spanish here ?

what do they see in the kip ?

most spanish i spoke to hate the weather and want to go home,
    but have to know english to get a decent job in spain.

as soon as my spanish is decent im outta here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Hi Safin,

Ireland is plenty of spaniards because the work market there is really crap. They mainly offer you temporary contracts and the working conditions are not good either.
    About the weather, I don't know why they wait until they get to Ireland to realise what's the weather like. You can easily find out that well in advance.

On the other hand, some of us are really happy and proud to be living here. We enjoy the friendliness (is that a correct word) of the irish people, the efficiency of some public services (I am from Argentina, I know what I am talking about), the multiculturalism, the security on the streets (again, I am from Argentina, I know what I am talking about), the oportunities and the working conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

gzoladz....

"efficiency" es una palabra que extranjeros no usan mucho cuando hablan de irlanda :rolleyes: ..quizas si vienes de argentina....he leido que la economía en argentina ha mejorado el ultimo año...y la seguridad tambien (o por lo menos ha estabilizado). y yo creo que los argentinos son muy amables, pasé unos cinco semanas alli y me sentí muy seguro en las calles. quizas ahora es diferente.
    puedes comprar maté en irlanda?
    he buscado antes pero no pude encontrar lo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chick4045

auslaender wrote:
    Hi I was just wondering what would be the best way to go about learning spanish? Would it be good to start learning the basics myself or go to spanish lessons say in the "Instituto Cervantes" from the very beginning! I'd appreciate any tips and advice you could give me

Thanks

HOLA, solo para que vean estos libros y diccionarios que me sirvieron de mucho con el español, aunque tambien puedes encontrar diccionarios en ingles.

el enlace para que veas la lista completa es:

http://www.ofertondelibros.com/ofertas/oferta_libros_en_espanol_categorias.asp?TAB=S&cat_id=Foreign+Language+Study&pi=resumen&cam=saldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Pink Lady

Safin, I've been thinking about going to the Cervantes for lessons. Are the teachers native spanish? I've been to lessons before but this time I want to learn from a Spanish person!

Advertisement