Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kenpo karate

Options
  • 18-01-2005 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone's a member.

iv been considering taking up a martial art thats good for self defense and i heard that kenpo's pretty good. i used to do a taekwon do and am a 6th kup but i wanted to try something different.

just wondering has anyone been to the classes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

snorlax wrote:
    just wondering if anyone's a member.

iv been considering taking up a martial art thats good for self defense and i heard that kenpo's pretty good. i used to do a taekwon do and am a 6th kup but i wanted to try something different.

just wondering has anyone been to the classes?

Haven't done it personally. Any lads I know who do do it never say anything about it. No feedback, not a sausage.
    You could do worse than taking up Judo. Trinitys got a very strong team and I think it might compliment your TKD well.
    Talk to Kev_rc_ie about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Trinitys got a very strong team

that's neither here nor there.

Well considering that you want to take up something different, I'm not sure if I'd recommend Ken/mpo. As far as I know, although I've never attended a class, the club in college is very kickboxing like and they do a lot of sparring and such. I imagine you did ITF style TKD so I'm they'll be fairly similar so you'd probably fit right in straight away. But as I said, they might be very similar. Maybe the Boxing Club? Or Credo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

If you really must do karate I'd recommend the Shotokan rather than the Kenpo. Any of the karate gurus I know have done kenpo, hated it and moved on to other types (kantana and shotokan). They labeled it simplistic and denounced its effectiveness.

However, coming from a tkd background I imagine the main reason you want to join kenpo is because of the sparring? And afaik kenpo is a lot more sparring based than shotokan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd go with DURNS for its breakdance fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Don't forget freestyle ninja boot action..

Seriously though, you might try something a bit different like capoeira; I have a couple of old friends doing it, they say it adds to your gymnastic ability, and helps your kinaesthesis (I THINK that's the right form of the word..)
    I used to do TKD too (years ago), but a lot of it was shaping around, if you know what I mean, so I went to some kickboxing classes to practice sparring, it did help, but some instructors gave "attitude" (the same kind of attitude UCDers give to Trinity people)..I doubt you'd get that in kenpo or capoeira or whatever else though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Or Credo.

what the hell is that? :confused:

Chick wrote:
    what the hell is that? :confused:
    I join you in your confusion....credo??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i was in INTA(ITF) taekwondo in exchequer street taught by master Brendan O'Toole.
    i had to break wood and stuff like that but we never did much work with hand movements or grabbing/ self defence.we did a lot of sparring in tkd in the green belt class.
    i took up boxing in tcd last year, it builds up stamina/ strength etc but it dosnt really focus on self defence. also if your not particularly strong to begin with it can be a tough sport.iv seen people come out of sparring with bleeding noses, could turn into a cat fight !
    my sister's doing Ninjitsu in UCD which seems a really cool martial art. it takes lots of training to get your first grade but you learn everything. pity TCD dosnt have a ninjitsu club
    Pet where did you do tkd?

but you learn everything. pity TCD dosnt have a ninjitsu club

that sounds like rubbish. If u live near UCD maybe you should join their BJJ club. Also, if you check the martial arts forum in the sports pages here you'll some people talking about self defense and where you can do it?

Do you want to learn how to kick guys in the balls and poke their eyes out? Credo is for you then.

i was in INTA(ITF) taekwondo in exchequer street taught by master Brendan O'Toole.
    If that's the one off George's St that's held in like an old church or something, then I went there too at one stage..very warm in there though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

snorlax wrote:
    i took up boxing in tcd last year, it builds up stamina/ strength etc but it dosnt really focus on self defence.
    That's misleading.. While not focusing on specific self-defense situations, most MMAs (mixed martial artists) will agree that in a situation where you have to defend yourself unarmed, boxing is the most effective skill you could have. Either that or Muay Thai, but the latter is real tough stuff and requires a lot of conditioning.

Also about the strength? Boxing is about doing what works, physics and hence leverage. I'd probably be a lot stronger than most featherweights, won't stop them knocking me out cold though.

For more information read this.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

I have done alot a few martial arts, get bored very easy so kept changing. tkd is very good but depends on what you want to do. Judo is excellent, and so is capoeira, its on nearly everynight of the week, but if you have bad knees or anything like that i would avoid it as it put terrible pressure on them, otherwise it is great craic and the instructors are really good.

if i wanted to dance and sing i'd become a las vegas caberet singer. but cap does look funny and interesting enough. unfort, it has no official sporting body in this country so ducac can't treat it as a sport but csc accepted it as a society. aparently, wesley snipes, who is the coolest dude, is very handy at it.

I would really like to see the instructors in an open martial arts competition.. it has been a couple of years since i was at my last competition in lucan but I would say that the instructors would do very well. unfortunetly under most competition rules you cannot pur your hand on the ground so that gets rid of most of the moves.
    Most people i found that are there think of ot as a martial art and that they will be able to defen them selves but there is no contact at all, an no sparring (and the rhoda is not sparring before someone asks) so if the person got in a real fight they would not be used to contact or beng hit... that is one of the downsides i feel.. i would like to see a bit of contact brought into it.

capoeira is a society in college?

how do you contact them, they'r not listed under the CSC?

TKD is good but i dunno how good it is for self defence, kicks to the head are a bit impractical if they come at you from behid. id just like to learn a few moves to give me enough time to get away, rather then a really offensive martial art.

you want to be a ninja and don't deny it. i saw some posters up of cap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

if i wanted to dance and sing i'd become a las vegas caberet singer. but cap does look funny and interesting enough. unfort, it has no official sporting body in this country so ducac can't treat it as a sport but csc accepted it as a society. aparently, wesley snipes, who is the coolest dude, is very handy at it.

Capoeira training would make you look like one of those backing dancers on top of the pops. Self-defense - you'd need it after your friends see you twirling and curling like a ballerina on crack during training!

Hah..you wouldn't say that if you saw one of them kickin' ass! (And they can bjayzus.)

checkout their website

http://www.odacapoeira.com/

its a good laugh, gets you fit and flexible but can also lead to injuries so be careful. classses are nearly everyday of the week so it suits everyones schedule

• Advertisement

cool website

cool, thanks a million! and its right beside TCD

bring ur dancing shoes.
    joke.

Advertisement