Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omniplex Upgrade

Options
  • 18-01-2005 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been out in the Limerick Omniplex lately? They're renovating the screens one by one (I think 1,3,5 and 6 are done). Its a very good job. All seats are now tiered (instead of all being on the flat like before). Seats are slightly bucketed, they're pretty comfortable, and there is alot more legroom.

Its very like UGC in Dublin (for the mid size screens, you have to walk right up the front and double back up steps to get to your seat).

Obviously they're worried about the new Storm cinema opening in Castletroy in May.

My concern is that with all the renovations (the screens, and the new electronic display out the front), how long before we're hit for a price increase? Especially that, due to the new seat configuration, the midsized screens are now at 60-70% of the capacity they used to be......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

whats so special about the cinema in castletroy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

klong wrote:
    whats so special about the cinema in castletroy?

14 screens!!! (or so the hoarding at the site says)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, the first 8 are opening in May (I presume they are aiming for the Star Wars weekend for biggest impact). The remaining 6 opening by the end of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

good to see some competition arrive on the scene. Omniplex took things for granted for a long time, it was maddening when you seen the quality and comfort of Ster Century in Dublin for the same price.

With planning permission for a multiplex on the north side of city still to be agreed will be interesting times ahead for the cinema goer in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

strettie wrote:
    good to see some competition arrive on the scene. Omniplex took things for granted for a long time, it was maddening when you seen the quality and comfort of Ster Century in Dublin for the same price...

You should have a look at the cinema at the North Gate in Cork - very impressive. Lovely seats, loads of room, etc.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

U mean anyone over 6 foot can now actually sit in the seats for 2 hours without being in pain for 2 days ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Where in Castletroy is this new cinema complex being built? I heard they are looking at building one as part of a large shopping complex next to Curry's on the Dublin Road.

The competition will be healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/09/19/story551490994.asp

think its the parkway could be wrong. the article says castletroy shopping centre

Yep, they're making good progress on it. Its beside McDonalds in the Castletroy shopping center.

I heard there were plans for another cinema behind TK Maxx, but I haven't heard anything new about that lately. Looks like the Storm cinema beat them to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

is this new one beside superquinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Yes, opposite Mc Donalds in the Superquin site.

well in that case is will definetely put up some competition for the Omniplex but dont a good bit more people live in the region of the cresent than superquinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would think that there is as many people living in the Castletroy, Annacotty area as there is in Raheen. Plus people from Castletroy View, Lynwood Park, Woodlawn, Garryowen, Ballysimon etc may find it easier than the Cresent. Would appeal to students from UL during weekdays also I would think.

Would be easier to get in and out of also as I have often been caught up with shoppers out in the Cresent especially around Christmas, parking can be a nightmare in the Omniplex and will be worse now that they extending the shopping centre again. Superquins is nowhere as busy as the Cresent.

just a point there about parking in the cresent as far as I know they are adding more to the underground parking though dont im not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Its about time,.. as already stated, the omniplex got away with some ****e for ages. The dirt of the place sometimes is sickening :(

Has anyone heard of a similar development taking place near the ennis road , i.e. by the coonagh roundabout or the new Dunnes Jetland?

I've heard rumours, but nothing concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

this Cinema in Castletroy is due to open in May and it's called Storm cinemas

Apparently, there will be one VIP lounge type thing with table service..I think it's a great idea. The Omniplex was great for a while, but the toilets stink.

Does anyone know what shops are planned for the Coonagh Roundabout??

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

My concern is that with all the renovations (the screens, and the new electronic display out the front), how long before we're hit for a price increase?
    in all fairness, as if they need an excuse, the prices have been increasing for years, the best one though, had to have been the downsizing of the drinks with the price staying the same, b@stards

Advertisement