Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuting from Avoca to dublin

Options
  • 17-01-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi there,

does anyone out there do this? How long does it take to get in to dublin from Avoca and whats the road like?

thinking of moving there :-)

thanks guys

Comments

You have two choiuces.
    Take the road up to Rathdrum, onto Glenealy, then Rathnew and join the Ashford by pass from there.

15 or 20 miles of horrible road.
    OR you could drive the 5 or 6 miles into Arklow, take that by pass, you then have about 8 miles of a good wide road untill you hit the next dual carriageway which takes you right to the loughlinstown roundabout.

Takes me about 45mins depending on traffic to get to loughlinstown from Arklow, add 5 minutes to that for the trip from Avoca along the "beech road" directly into the Arklow by pass.
    I'd go the Arklow route if I were you.
    Also if you take the long and windy rathdrum route , you can meet a lot of frost , ice or snow in the winter-so best avoided I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

OR you could drive the 5 or 6 miles into Arklow
    Maybe you could get a train at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Iarnrod Eireann operate a South Eastern Commuter service from Dublin to Arklow / Gorey. The frequency isn't great due to track capacity issues with the DART from Greystones into the City but it does operate during the peak commuter times.

There is a 0645 Gorey - Dundalk service which calls at Arklow at 0659, Rathdrum at 0718 which would get you into the City Centre for 0842 - 0850 (depends which of the city centre stations you need to use).

The return Commuter service departs Connolly at 1725 and serves Tara Street (1727), Pearse (1730) and would have you in Rathdrum for 1847 & Arklow for 1904.

I'll include the link to the on-line printed timetables for you:

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2005/dublinrosslareeuroport.pdf

Its a PDF file so it might take a few seconds to load.

Advertisement