Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB in D15

Options
  • 16-01-2005 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Is it on a go slow again ???

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

everywhere is on the go-slow. IBB seem to have run out of external bandwidth. Any irish site i get full speeds, any non-irish site i get about 10kB/sec.

But there are a few exceptions... any data routing through britain seems to be resonably ok aswell... http://ftp.uk.debian.org is pretty fast for me, not as fast as .ie.debian though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Maybe you've done such a good job plugging IBB for the last six months that the new users have taken your bandwidth? Incidently I'm getting about normal speeds now from what I can tell, but it varies quite significantly. This morning it was 10KB/s, now it's about 70-80KB/s. One thing that puzzles me is that quite often my download speeds are higher than upload speeds. I would have thought that the vast majority of users download a lot more than they upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Blaster99 wrote:
    Maybe you've done such a good job plugging IBB for the last six months that the new users have taken your bandwidth? Incidently I'm getting about normal speeds now from what I can tell, but it varies quite significantly. This morning it was 10KB/s, now it's about 70-80KB/s. One thing that puzzles me is that quite often my download speeds are higher than upload speeds. I would have thought that the vast majority of users download a lot more than they upload.

How do you tell your speed at any time? is there some sort of software you have for it?

I use wget in Linux (there's a version for Windows as well) most of the time to get a feel for the speed, and I try a few different files in different locations across the world. For download & upload speeds I tend to use http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp but in the context of IBB it will give fairly good/unrepresentative figures as it's in the UK and IBB's links to the UK are pretty good in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

ok I think i have a connection with IBB, I just moved into a new place. erm It's a wan type connection of some sort. But apparently its already paid, problem is the guy who left took whatever router it was connected to so i just have a cat5 cable coming out of the wall. I was just wondering does anyone know the standard setup ???
    what order should i put the wires for crimping, and does it use dhcp ???

• Advertisement

If it's IBB, you need a PoE adapter from IBB in order to use the service. In addition, IBB uses static IP addresses so you need that and a bunch of other details from IBB in order to set things up once you get the PoE adapter. I presume IBB owns the PoE adapter along with the rest of the radio equipment.

kk, Ill just give em a ring so, ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Is there anyway of knowing what the contention ratio is of your broadband line, i.e. some sort of online test or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I have IBB in Blanchardstown, and can see the node on the roof of the Atrium from my room.
    Thought it was very slow, so I mailed IBB on Tuesday.
    Last night (2 days later) a guy rang at 7pm!
    He was very helpful, and ran a few diagnostics for me. Not a great result though... he said the speed is crap because there's 40 of us on the node sharing the 512 connection, and the more logged on at t time, the slower it will be... he suggested that I log on a 4am and I would see how fast it is!!!!!

What a load of s***... not what was sold to me for 30 squid a month! He suggested breeze 1Mb lite, which meand 25 sharing a 1mb connection.... whats this sharing crap??

End result, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I have IBB in Blanchardstown, and can see the node on the roof of the Atrium from my room.
    Thought it was very slow, so I mailed IBB on Tuesday.
    Last night (2 days later) a guy rang at 7pm!
    He was very helpful, and ran a few diagnostics for me. Not a great result though... he said the speed is crap because there's 40 of us on the node sharing the 512 connection, and the more logged on at t time, the slower it will be... he suggested that I log on a 4am and I would see how fast it is!!!!!

What a load of s***... not what was sold to me for 30 squid a month! He suggested breeze 1Mb lite, which meand 25 sharing a 1mb connection.... whats this sharing crap??

End result, no joy.

Contention is the word and its like 25 people standing under a tap!!! closer and clear the better the bandwidth for IBB so do as the man says !!! heheheh

BTW I'm not far from you and my signal is ****e too had it great for 3 months and then crap !!!

GET NTL m8

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    Contention is the word and its like 25 people standing under a tap!!! closer and clear the better the bandwidth for IBB so do as the man says !!! heheheh

BTW I'm not far from you and my signal is ****e too had it great for 3 months and then crap !!!

GET NTL m8

Didn't know NTL was available in Blanch... last time I checked it was in Clonsilla with no date for Blanch. have you got it? What do you think of it? The €35 package looks good, but does it include VAT? If not, then it's a bit pricey for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Is there any IBB near DCU/Griffith Ave area?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

jm2k wrote:
    Is there any IBB near DCU/Griffith Ave area?

Yeah, its located on the mast in the old ESB depot.

I rang NTL on Sat and surprise, no we don't have broadband yet blah blah rollout blah so looks like Im stuck with IBB for now.

I still can't get any response from IBB , do they really exist? or is there some reason they wont answer their phone or respond to e-mails?
    I have this cat5 cable coming out of the wall, apparently its an IBB onnetion, but its been at least 3 weeks now, and still no response.

Ring and threaten them, that's the only way I could get through to them... took me a week.

P.S. NTL is now available in Blanch, so get that if you are in the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

NTL is available in some parts, not all.

IBB were woeful at replying to mails and following up calls when I contacted them too.

Advertisement