Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR & Mains power query (need advice)

Options
  • 15-01-2005 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If any electricians are out there can they offer me some advice on wireing a PIR
    to mains power please. Right, I have 1 PIR security light at the front of the house, the mains power is at rear of the house. I installed the PIR and used 1.5 T&E (which has 4 cores, its outdoor cable) the run is 35mtrs to the mains power I only had 20mtrs of that outdoor cable so I used normal 1.5 T&E (the grey cable) to get me all the way back to the mains power and terminated both ends of the cable in a junction box. Still with me here? ok then :) now Im looking at the mains board and I curious to know best method of terminating it to the power supply, should I use a MCB and what type etc... and do I need to use an earth. Many thanks for any advise.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Hal1 wrote:
    Hi,

If any electricians are out there can they offer me some advice on wireing a PIR
    to mains power please. Right, I have 1 PIR security light at the front of the house, the mains power is at rear of the house. I installed the PIR and used 1.5 T&E (which has 4 cores, its outdoor cable) the run is 35mtrs to the mains power I only had 20mtrs of that outdoor cable so I used normal 1.5 T&E (the grey cable) to get me all the way back to the mains power and terminated both ends of the cable in a junction box. Still with me here? ok then :) now Im looking at the mains board and I curious to know best method of terminating it to the power supply, should I use a MCB and what type etc... and do I need to use an earth. Many thanks for any advise.

Not a sparks, but somewhat experinced :)

Yes use a seperate MCB, check the amperage/wattage of the light assemby to select size.
    Yes definitley connect an earth, cannot stress strongly enough
    Also be sure to use an RCD

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hal1 wrote:
    Hi,

Hi
    Firstly I'm not a sparks, but it's my hobby and I've installed many over the years. Forgive me if you feel insulted, but you sound very inexperienced. Wait for a reply from real sparks as you are going about that job in a haphazzard fashion,emphasis on hazzard.
    A far simplier solution is to install a fused spur box beside a socket outlet, with a small fuse,near where you want the light. Use NYMJ cable (cheap to buy, has full earth, and doesn't need trunking on outside). Also because you're on the ring main (socket circuit) you have the protection of RCD / ELCB, whichever is already fitted to consumer unit ( fuse board).This method is NOT suitable for floressent fittings as they can cause the ELCB to trip with no fault.

hope this helps
    t

Advertisement