Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low singing voices

Options
  • 15-01-2005 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Yo, i would appreciate an opinion on this. I was in a band just as a singer around a year ago, and it was the one thing i had to concentrate on in the band. Since then i haven't sung very much, and have slowly lost confidence in my voice being good (hearing yourself recorded is always a shock).
    My main gripe with my voice is that it is very low. When i was seen singing at gigs i received a fair amount of compliments, some out of politeness and some out of genuine interest. I was even in that shockwaves competition last year, where i was told i needed to project more, and define the words i was singing.
    But at this stage i'm even beginning to think that my voice is not interesting to hear as it is too low, although there are plenty of cool "low voices" out there. But the thing is many singers have a voice they use which is usually louder in the chorus, Kurt Cobain:screaming, breaking voice. Billy Corgan: nagging, strange ass voice and Chris Cornell's miraculous shouting voice that repeated by anyone else sounds like they are taking the piss.
    What i am saying here is, is that all these have established a unique and interesting style that has enough fluctuation in pitch to keep the listener interested and at the same time none of them have much of a range. I suppose it is down to the fact that i haven't been singing of late, that i have this little confidence in what i can do. Examples of voices that are low without much variation is snow patrol, they are grand but his voice never reaches any great heights, and the guitar playing does not compensate melody wise.
    So what do people think, are low voices necessarily boring? I foresee one problem, that it is far harder to hear a deeper voice over such loud music, a problem i had in the past. By the way the reason this is on my mind as something hard to do, is cos i may need to play the guitar while singing as it is stuff i am merely writing myself at the moment, but should i ever play it live doing both at the same time would definitely be the scenario. In general singing and playing at the same time is hard, so this further complicates the singing thing. So opinions, advice in general concerning playing and singing at the same time, keeping things interesting with both instrument and voice, and to do with Low singing voices in comparison to higher octave ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

just realized this should probably be in the Instruments forum, maybe i'm wrong again, ah well i posted it there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Man don't be such a winge, you should sing primarily for yourself and the way it makes you feel and if other people like it, great! There's always someone who will find something different in your voice to like so again don't be talkin the way you are you sound like Napoleon Dynamite or something.

:cool:

Fusion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Get someone to kick you in the testicles. Problem solved. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

is your voice properly low (like your man out of of Crash Test Dummies) or do you just mumble?

Both, it's low, and yes i have been told i mumble, i don't see it quite as mumbling, but i don't project enough/define words being sung. Cheers for telling me i'm whinging, i am merely looking for advice. I have lost reason to sing frequently as i am no longer the singer of a band. So the only way i am going to pursue it independently is if i put time into i suppose, i'm just wondering how much of an improvement can be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Nidge wrote:
    i'm just wondering how much of an improvement can be made.

As much as you want to make, but by the sounds of it that's not alot. If you're willing to practice and put the effort in rather then wollowing in self doubt you'll probably do pretty well. Try learning songs that wouldn't normally suit your voice and make them your own, by changing the original key etc and keep testing yourself and raising the bar all the time.

Good Luck with that....

It's not 100% wallowing in self doubt, it has alot to do with time, as i am doing the leaving cert this year, so doing lessons definitely is not an option. I will have to wait til the summer for that side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RogueVox

What about trying singing classes or something? Or even just look up various voice exercises that you can do that push your voice a little bit - it's a slow process, but by practice you will improve.

Also, before you sing, remember to warm up and things like that - your voice is [sorry to sound corny] a muscle after all, and needs loosening up before you try to sing.

Then look at the material you sing - you can always play around with various songs and **** them up and make them yours. For example, I've heard 'Roxanne' by the Police sung by someone with a low voice in a weird punk/jazz cross, and it was absolutely breath taking.

Also if you're trying to play an instrument and improve your singing, work on them both seperately and then together - singing isn't just about opening your mouth and hoping the words come out after all, and you might discover things you can do with your voice that you didn't know if you focus on it, or you might discover things you can do with another instrument if you play along.

Just my take on it. And don't give up, yeah? Remember why you're doing it - in the end, don't forget how fun it is just to sing along with things and have a good time :)

too true about your last paragraph there, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

If you're doing your leaving you're probably only 17 or 18 or so and your voice hasn't settled yet. Between the ages of 19-20 your range can increase hugely. Is your voice a Nick Cave/Johnny Cash type of deep??Coz if it is maybe your just singing the wrong type of music?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Lessons would be a good idea once you've got the leaving over you. They can help extend your range (reach higher notes).

I wonder if it's physically possible to have as deep a voice as johnny cash at 17. Either way no it's not freakishly deep, but definitely deep, I think lessons would do me good, and i will get them after the LC

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nidge wrote:
    I wonder if it's physically possible to have as deep a voice as johnny cash at 17.

I knew a guy that sounded like Johnny Cash an octave down by the time he was 17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

be yourself. be original. what u wana sound like any1 else for. if every1 taught like u there wud be no johnny cash tom waits nick caves etc etc. find ur own voice and use it!!!!!!

Actually if you haven't listened to the likes of Tom Waits and Nick Cave, do give them a try just to see how they use their voices.

calis, you are 2nd person who has asked my i wanna sound like everyone else, i never mentioned that i did want to. But i'm worried that i wouldn't be heard at all because of how low my voice is. I've come to the conclusion that it's not incredibly low, just can't reach the octaves i wanna reach, i need to project my voice better in general. But i'm gonna wait to get some lessons first after my Leaving, and action packed summer.

Good plan. I do really recommend listening to a few different low voiced singers though just to have an idea of what you can do. And of course sing in the shower, always sing in the shower.

Haha yeah, one thing time wise, when i do have time that doesn't have to spent doing work, my whole family are around. I need to be able to have a few hours here and there with no one around, so i can make all the mistakes i want and experiment and stuff. Aside from johnny cash i haven't heard many of these people who have been said to have deep voices, i should look into them.

Well apart from Tom Waits and Nick Cave, I suggest you have a listen to Leonard Cohen and the Tindersticks. They're all similar musical territory but all of the singers are low voiced and sound amazing. Well, apart from Cohen who's just a good lyricist now that I think about it.

Yeah, my dad who is not a fond over of Pop music complains that Leonard Cohen always sings within a Minor3rd of the original note he is singing, haven't listened to him too much but it's probably almost true. See that's the thing he was acoustic, i'm thinking of doarn's gigs where even people with higher voices and barely be distinguished from the noise. I hate the idea of writing equally interesting melodies for vocals but then when i am performing no one can hear them, never mind the lyrics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement