Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Spectrum shut down.

• 14-01-2005 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Causing a bit of a stir. Not sure if anyone even knew about it here.
    English Spectrum, a website that provides information for foreigners living in Korea, has temporarily suspended service after a report in the Korean vernacular JoongAng Ilbo caused a stir among Koreans.

The site, www.englishspectrum.com, is primarily an information resource on entertainment and job listings for English teachers.

The JoongAng article focused on one part of the site, "Ask the Playboy," and highlighted comments made by foreigners relating to sexual conquests with Korean women.

The website responded by blocking the content of the site and posting a disclaimer on the main page, "As a result of negative newspaper reports depicting but a small percentage of user opinions, we at English Spectrum have decided to pull the offensive forum and are taking steps to reorganize how these forums are operated and monitored."

Wayne Gold from English Spectrum told The Korea Herald, "I don`t want to comment on it right now."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

damn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Possibly a little update on this, as it was totally out of context when I first saw it.

When I first saw the page in question it looked nothing more then a wild night out at some club (least by western standards). So I took it more a culture clash then anything else.

However I got to watch some of the show last night that brought this and other things to light. It wasn't just the website was the problem. You had...

- People with no/fake qualifications teaching English. One had a Phd in Law from Harvard which was made cheap in Tailand.
    - Many with no work visa.
    - Some English teaching was quite creative, one teacher calling his students "F'ing chinks".
    - Drug involvement, from usage, pushing to date rapes.
    - Prostitution and child molesting.
    - Prejudice against Koreans in regards to jobs. A white person is more likely to get a English teacher job then say a Canadian Korean who has the qualifications.

It was pretty scary stuff. Documentry is half English/half Korean so if anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll see what the deal is with posting it here.

Advertisement