Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system noise

Options
  • 13-01-2005 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

We have a new (3 month old) gas-fired heating system.

It has pipe knocking (as it heats up -- bad pipe laying, I suppose) and gurgling .

More mysteriously, rads make a loud hissing noise when the system has been on for a while. Installer changed all of the thermostats and also the filling pipe, and it went away for a while, but now it's starting to act up again. I've looked up lots of DIY sites and can't find any mention offthis.

Lots of air in rads also -- I have to bleed top ones about once a week.
    Have I got a serious problem, e.g. fundamentally flawed system, or a leak?

Two further questions:
    1)there is no thermostat or timer on the hot water tank. Is this not a standard fitting?

2) I'm not sure where to take this from here. Are Bord Gais independent or do they just represent the installers? Do I need an independent heating engineer to survey the system?

Any advice very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

It could be a lot of things.

Is the boiler 'Boiling' water, (very loud knocks).

Is the pump working,

Is the pump pumping in the right direction,

I would check the proximity of the c/h pump to the expansion pipe, if it is too close and downstream it can suck air into the system via the expansion pipe.(That is if you have an open vented system).

Ideally you should get another plumber to check the system as there are dodgy plumbers out there. (Get a known good plumber, perhaps someone from the forum could recommend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Thanks Baldy!
    There isn't really any dramatic banging -- which I've heard before in other systems. This is more gentle (sounds like expansion) tapping, but also that awful hiss/hum.
    The plumber, his boss, and his boss in turn all came out to have a look. But I think you're right -- it probably needs another, independent expert view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

check the valve that is on the supply pipe to top up the heating system from your expansion tank in the attic. Normally loacted in the immersion cupboard. If this is closed, then you need to open it to allow the water to fill the system.....

Advertisement