Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Bebop Artist??

Options
  • 13-01-2005 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

For the minute and i'd say for a long time it's gotta be John Coltrane, started listening to him about 2 or 3 years ago and I couldn't stand or comprehend his soloing at first, but the more I listened the more I wanted to keep listening, he is a Legend.

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Lactating Shark

I'm always a bit unclear on the difference between bebop, hard bop and post bop. But anyway, I'd have to go with Canonball Adderley. His album Something Else really is something else.

Coltrane... I admire him, but I dont think I love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

I'm always a bit unclear on the difference between bebop, hard bop and post bop.

Bebop is an early form of modern Jazz round the 1940's it's mainly swing but the soloists follow the changes rather then playing over a tonic. Hard Bop mixes different rhytms Afro Cuban, Spanish, Latin, Funk etc. Post Bop would be some of the stuff with the Miles-Hancock-Shorter-Williams group, Mingus, Sonny Rollins etc it's the most difficuly one to define really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

Charlie Parker is the king of Bebop

Indeed he is.....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I'm a big fan of Dizzy Gillespie when it comes to bebop. Another favourite of mine is Art Pepper, although he's less bebop and more West Coast/Cool (definitely my favourite style) - much like Stan Getz, but I prefer Art's stuff.

It sounds like sacrilege even saying it, but I've never been a huge fan of Coltrane. I can definitely see the genius there, but I guess it's just not my style.

• Advertisement

satchmo wrote:

It sounds like sacrilege even saying it, but I've never been a huge fan of Coltrane. I can definitely see the genius there, but I guess it's just not my style.

:eek: Sheeit.....you gotta listen harder!

It's all bout the sheets of sound man, the sheets with the sound!

Blue Trane is probably the most listner friendly album though.

Giant Steps, 286bpm 2 chords per bar, unconventional chord sequence, how can you not love the Trane?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Ah I'm not saying he's not amazing, I'm just saying that if I'm putting on some jazz it's more likely to be someone like Pepper, Gillespie or Mingus. There are certain Coltrane tracks that I love, but just as a whole there are other artists I prefer listening to.

Advertisement