Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Objections and conditions question

Options
  • 12-01-2005 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hey all,

Our neighbour has applied for planning for a two story extension to the rear of the property. The house is rented out as 3 flats and he wants to change it to 2 larger appartments. We get on well with him but were surprised when he didn't mention about the plans. Now we can't contact him as his phone is off/ gone.
    The name on the application is not his, so it is possible that he has sold it to someone else.

Although we havn't seen the plans yet, as they still havn't been recieved by the corpo, we will have a few concerns. Not major ones, but none the less we would like answers to certain questions. If the answers are OK (and in writing), then we have no problems with the build.

Once we get the plans from the corpo:

how do we go about settling our cercerns?
    how do we know what is a legitimate concern?

We're still surprised that he didn't drop in first with a copy before applying for permission.

tnx
    M.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hey
      First off he is not obliged to give ye a copy of the plans, that is a personal decisoion.
      Why is his name is not on the planning is strange, I presumed who ever owned the premisies had to apply for planning??

If they have a site, the coporation, you should be able to go on line and into the planning section and view the plans there.
      If not you go in and ask to see them, if you view them there and do not take a copy then it is free, otherwise you pay 20 notes, I think!

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

cheers Yop.

I'll check the corpo site.
      I know he doesn't have to bring the plans in but, if I was building an extension that needed planning, I'd talk to my neighbours first so as to minimise any possible planning objections.

I'm more concerned about issues like the drains, eg we (the row of houses) had problems with the drains a while back because the corpo didn't know we are on a certain pipe system, they were doing repairs, blocked the drains and the result wasn't pretty(although they did sort it out after a couple of angry phone calls!). So one of my concerns with the extension is what will they do about the drains when building , as the drains are under where they propose to build.

I don't have any problem with the extension but there are certain issues like the drains that I'd like clarification on.
      Do I just object because of these issues, and is the ball then in thier court to come back with a solution?
      I'd prefer this to be worked out amicably, but don't know what we can/can't object about. That's more my question actually, how do I find out what is acceptable and unacceptable to object to, or how to get clarification about certain points.

cheers for the reply.
      M.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

imo...there is no hard and fast rule or long list of objectionable points.....the planners follow strict guidlines in determining there decision and that it.

the planners will not try and satisfy all of the concerned persons quims, as that would be impossible under the circumstances, therefore it is upto the individuals effected to highlight their concerns and give the planner the opportunity to investigate the situation, no matter what they are....even if you personally feel the issues are minor....or your afraid to upset the neighbour (don't worry, their not concerned about you, i'd say).

If the planner feels the issue is relevent he will make provisions for this and the builder will have to comply.

So.....in summary...find out which planner is involved and make your issues known in writing........ you have nothing at all to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

if you don't lodge an observation at this stage you will not be able to lodge an appeal later on it the process. All plans will be available for viewing in the council and I suggest you go and look at them as soon as they are available. It is within your rights to request additional information regarding any issues which you feel might affect your property. Consult the development plan (available on-line) and building regulations for exact measurements regarding the issue of overlooking.. overshadowing etc. Good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

If he or whoever owns it now is renting the place ask the people renting it to give your number to the owner or get his off them and bring it up with him in person, surly they must know who they give their money to. If you cant get in contact with him that way then go the council route.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys,
      I've tryed the corpo but the plans aren't in yet - even though its past the date when they should be there. I'll grab a copy of the plans and have a look.

Good idea Kristok, it never occured to check with one of the tenants.

Tnx again all.
      M.

Looks like I was worried for nothing!
      He dropped into the misses yesterday, he's coming by tonight with a copy of the plans for us.

see I knew it was weird that he didn't drop in!

M.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Glad it turned out well for you, peace of mind

Advertisement