Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Code Lost

Options
  • 12-01-2005 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I've Just bought a new house and when i asked them the alarm codes, they said they couldn't remember them and haven't used the alarm for 2 years.
    I trying ring the mobile number of the technician that rang it but as it was installed about 5 years ago, that number doesn't exist anymore. What can i do to get alarms codes reset. Do i have to get a new panel??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

what brand is it? the panel i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

it isn't a major problem.....find out what the default code is if you can....

if not, all you need to replace is the chip......i had to do that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Post the make of the panel. If the installer changed the default "engineer code" and locked the panel you'll have get your local alarm co to call out. As for replacing the chip, this is not always possible as it depends on the make of the panel. On the other hand if the installer didn't change the engineer code or lock the panel any alarm co will tell you how to do it over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rockies

Alarm Panel is ARITECH

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

with a bit of luck rockies the guy who put your alarm in never changed the default engineering code. If you do a search on the make and model you can pop it into the keypad, however, this is the problem and where my advice is leading to.
    usually in those panels to enter engineering mode (where you can reset the whole system and put in your new code) you need to take the cover off the keypad pop in the eng code and your in business. once the cover if off the alarm will sound, if the eng code is wrong and you dont know the proper code then you wont be able to shup it up
    Chances are if they stopped using the alarm it is because there was a problem, so get an alarm tech guy out the system prob needs it anyway, you'll have to set the whole thing up again anyway and someone who knows the systems will sort it out quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rockies wrote:
    Hi All,

I've Just bought a new house and when i asked them the alarm codes, they said they couldn't remember them and haven't used the alarm for 2 years.
    I trying ring the mobile number of the technician that rang it but as it was installed about 5 years ago, that number doesn't exist anymore. What can i do to get alarms codes reset. Do i have to get a new panel??

Thanks

Hi rockies

First of all I'm no expert...but...I've installed a few systems for family etc. That was a few years ago. Since then the panels have changed and a new way of installing alarms has been introduced, namely the two wire system. Both of these changes occurred around the same yome, I believe.

Now bear with me for a minute, its important to know which system yours is.
    The difference between 2 and 4 wire system is ....
    On 4 wire system 2 wires are used for alarm contacts,etc and 2 wires for anti-tamper (not always wired up to activators, which they should be ( only main circuit loops, short cuts).
    You can tell by ...
    On 4 wire system ,when EOL(end of line resistor) ( used to stop short cuiting or "jumping") is not integrated on main board, then its sopposed to be installed in the last (end of line) shock sensor. However some installers ,for convenience sake wire it(loosely) in series at the alarm panel contact,usually covering it with cable sleeve to avoid electrical short circuit.

On a 2 wire system, the same 2 wires have to double for alarm and tamped circuits. The panel "knows" the difference because it measures the circuit impedence and a resister is installed in each and every shock sensor.

With a five year old system you may be lucky and be using the old system.

On new 2 wire system the panel ofically has to go back to manufacturer to be de-programmed, although an installer told me recently that there is a way of reverting back to base settings...by removing a chip ,temporary shorting out 2 contacts and re-installing.....a wee bit chancy..

On older systems its a doddle....remove panel cover , expose circuit board and look for small jumper called " LK1" (should be printed on board). Simply remove and replace to reset to manufacturer's default codes ( e mail to maker or get a look at installation manual). Power to circuit board off . You may have to power up with link off...I can't remember exactly.

Any real experts out there feel free to correct me if you think i'm in error anywhere

Hopes this helps....

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rockies

Will Try That,
    Thanks and will let you know if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like it's an Aritech CS350. The default eng code for it is "01278" Type it in and if the display shows something like " press ! to enter eng mode" you are in luck. To exit press X. Then it's just a matter getting the manual or calling an alarm co.
    If nothing happened then you are out of luck and will have to call out the alarm co who may have to send it back to Aritech if it's locked. Although not many people lock the panel, most will just change the eng code to there own
    By doing what tapest said will work ONLY if the panel is not locked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

also try '08877' fro the eng code...that's what it is on my aritech

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ive read the engineer instruction on my aritec panel and it says if the panel is locked then it needs to go back to aritech for deprogramming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement