Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvisation

Options
  • 11-01-2005 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread on Improvising and different approaches people would use to different tunes, so if anyones is working on a tune at the minute post the name of the tune and the artists version and we can throw a few ideas around and maybe help open each others playing up to more possibilities!

Just a thought

Fusion

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Good idea... I find it hard to practise imrovising if it's not with a band, so I don't get to try as much as I'd like. What do other people do to practise it when they're on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

Nice thread.

If i'm learning a tune, i listen to it lots of times. Like 30+ times. Then try sing the melody (correctly) and then listen to the solo's. Try sing them (parts of them), then i pickup my guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

satchmo wrote:
    Good idea... I find it hard to practise imrovising if it's not with a band, so I don't get to try as much as I'd like. What do other people do to practise it when they're on their own?

Well for a tune I usually take the same approach, First I learn the melody, then I make sure I can arpeggate smoothly through the changes then I work scaler patterns through them. "practise improvising" is kinda a contradiction in terms really, so I never really practice actually soloing as such until I play with a band, I usually approach a solo with ideas that I want to use but never really anything too rigid. Try to be as open to the music when taking a solo as I can really.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

If find it easiest to lern the chords first and then improvise around them. If I try to lern a solo note for note I get bored with it and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's funny, Impov requires practice.

I mess around a bit with my band, trying new shapes all over the neck, try different timings, and mix them in with standard ones. Always have someone who can lead the beat and follow, and then try ways of changing what will come up next. Strong riffs, bass lines or drum fills between beats and between standard chord progressions really help the creative process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement