Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salman rushdie

Options
  • 11-01-2005 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

has anyone read his work?i've read shame and thought it was brilliant, but didn't get a huge response on mikado

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

read 'the moors last sigh' - it was good but not amazing..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

It's toss up between Shame and Midnight's Children for his best book (although it's been a very long time since I read Shame).

The Satanic Verses is also well worth a read. If you don't like long, digressing, magic realist stories (which the other two are full of), then you might like this one the best.

After that, they gradually get worse and worse. The Moor's Last Sigh was disappointing, The Ground Beneath Her Feet was worse, and apparently Fury is terrible, but I'd given up reading him at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

have any of you read Haroun and the Sea of Stories??? that's the only one of his i've read and i really liked it..we had ta read it for English :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'll see if I can pick up the satanic verses in a second hand bookshop so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Was supposed to read the Satanic Verses for English seminar in college. I tried but got about 1/4 of the way before deciding it would be easier to maybe leave this book out. Someday I'll go back and finish it........Probably.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Got 1/4 way through "The ground beneath her feet", I hated it, so I put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

Got 1/4 way through "The ground beneath her feet", I hated it, so I put it down.

I think I got about halfway, but that was the book that made me give up on him completely.

It's rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

I read Midnight's Children first and LOVED IT. Shame is equally good. Its really a matter of whether or not you like 'magic relaism' and can handle all the tangents he meanders through. If you like him, you'll like Gabriel Garcia Marques and (to a lesser extent) Isabelle Allende.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

I read Midnight's Children too, funny, thought provoking and interesting book really. Strange though that this magic realism is emphasized so much in certain books, you can enjoy them without being aware of all the magic realism icing, I mean it's fiction, it should be all about magic in a broad sense. Okay, when it comes to literary analysis, it's a useful tool, but when you read, who cares?

Advertisement