Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanding and Varnishing New T&G Floor

Options
  • 10-01-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

We have recently had an extension built and had the builder put T&G floor in the bedroom. I want to have a go at sanding it and varnishing it myself and have never done this before. Does anyone here have any dos and don'ts or handy tips for this job?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

If you never sanded before don't get one of those big (drum?) sanders, you could ruin your floor very quickly by losing control of it or simply not working it correctly - you'll need the belt sander for the corners anyhow.

As long as your room is less than say 150sq ft, rent out a makita belt sander (or similar) and get on your knees and do three or four boards at a time down their length sweeping up after each run. You will only need two belts, a coarse one for the first run and a lighter finishing one. Make sure you tap home any nails.

I don't have any advice on staining but go for good quality stuff (ie Ronseal Diamond coat) put it on with a paint brush and rub down with very light grade sandpaper between coats, hoover then lightly brush with cloth wetted with whitespirit - to collect any remaining dust.

I did a bedroom floor this way (three coats), a lot of work, but the finish on red deal is smashing and three years later still no signs of wear anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Good plan if the room is small. If you do get the drum sander, be very careful with it - it can dig a pit in your floorboards pretty quick. Be careful about the staining. People are often disappointed with the results, so do a sample piece and varnish it before you commit to anything big.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

here you go....does what its says on the tin.
    http://www1.myhome.ie/news/news_show.asp?p=1&id=1429

use an upright square faced sander...any hire shop has them....works a treat
    http://www.littleireland.ie/hireproducts/FloorSanders.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I agree with the advice about the drum sander, there are some very good two pack products especially for timber floors, the idea is they are the finished surface doesn't scuff under normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I always use the two-pack myself when I do it. There are floors we sanded and lacquered ten years ago, and they're still in great condition. It's getting a little tricky to get (not sold in places like B+Q for example). I have heard the environmental authorities are trying to reduce the use of these solvent-based products.

Does anyone have any experience with the acrylic-based products? Do they really last?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Does anyone have any experience with the acrylic-based products? Do they really last?

They are getting better, but still far short of traditional varnishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I always use the two-pack myself when I do it. There are floors we sanded and lacquered ten years ago, and they're still in great condition.

Ditto. Not only is it harder wearing, but it's fast drying, so yuo can multicoat in one day, unlike traditional varnishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lockster

Thanks for the advice guys. Just showing my inexperience here, when you say a two-pack product, do you mean a stain and varnish all in one like Ronseal Coloured Diamond Coat?

Thanks and regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Lockster wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Just showing my inexperience here, when you say a two-pack product, do you mean a stain and varnish all in one like Ronseal Coloured Diamond Coat?

No, try Rustins Clear Plastic Floor coating. Two pack contains the floor coating in one pack and then a seperate chemical hardener that you mix in to it before application. Sort of like making up epoxy resin glue.

It is a little more expensive, but worth it.

But no smoking while your at it, and ventilate the room well, as the fumes are deadly strong

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

i was just thinking about this post today......
    would you not just buy laminated flooring and fit it yourself.....sanding creates terrible dust and the smell of the varnish, your house will be destroyed, also the impact noise on the varnished t+g is dreadful.....

imo..its just not worth it...

• Advertisement

Hi,

If you are in the Dublin area a supplier the Professionals use is MRCB Cornmarket st D8
    between Christchurch and Thomas St.

They have a very good range of products and tools, it's mostly trade but there shouldn't be a problem with the public ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

rooferPete wrote:
    it's mostly trade but there shouldn't be a problem with the public ;)

Sorry i beg to differ,its open to anyone.There is a place also up in an industrial estate at the back of McDonalds near Kylemore road.Its called Morrells they cater to public or trade.

They do all sorts of two pack finishes(satin,gloss)but in my experience there inst much difference after awhile,plus whatever cellouse stain you want for all types of woods.I think the industrial estate is either Robinhood or JFK....well something like that..

Forgot to add if your going down two pack finish make sure you get a clean skuttle(paint container) and a mohair sleeve to roll Lacquer onto prepared floors.Cut in sides with a brush and roll away.You can apply up to 3 coats in 24hours also sand lightly(use the used sandpaper the lightest grade from the sander you hired) inbetween coats then next morning give it one final coat.

When storing mohair roller over night just put it in a bag wrapped up as cellouse in roller will still keep it moist once air doesnt get at it.Same for brushes also dont forget a good mask.Four coats should be ok if its a bedroom.

The two pack will come in a 5litres can with a catalyst which is a small bottle of liquid to pour entirely into 5litre to make the chemical reaction so the Lacquer goes hard once applied

Hi mad m,

Thanks for the update, perhaps I should have said the Professionals I know use that supplier.
    I have no doubt there are similar suppliers of quality products all around the country.

I like your attention to detail regarding the tools required, the method of mixing and applying the product.

No offence was intended pointing to one supplier and certainly no personal gain to be derived, I have never set foot in the store let alone have an interest in it, I have employed qualified painters (7 year apprenticeships) who always bought from that supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi mad m,

Thanks for the update, perhaps I should have said the Professionals I know use that supplier.
    I have no doubt there are similar suppliers of quality products all around the country.

I like your attention to detail regarding the tools required, the method of mixing and applying the product.

No offence was intended pointing to one supplier and certainly no personal gain to be derived, I have never set foot in the store let alone have an interest in it, I have employed qualified painters (7 year apprenticeships) who always bought from that supplier.

Ah no i didnt take offence,sometimes it looks like that when in type,its like texts on a phone sometimes people take it up wrong because people try and fit a conversation into 164 letters.Anyway i used that shop myself from time to time for tools i couldnt get anyway else to do with my trade e.g. badger softner,flogger etc.

Got my first badger softner when going through my apprenticeship from that shop but it can be abit dear. :) great shop for graining tools also

Advertisement