Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access through tiling to concealed cistern

Options
  • 09-01-2005 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

can someone explain to me how much access space i should leave when plumbing a concealed cistern and back to wall pan. and whether there is access needed on top ( to the cistern )and at the bottom ( to the waste etc.)

also if anyone has ideas for the best way to do this so that the access hole is not so visible in the tiling
    thanks
    bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Bob,

For basic access should be about 900mm wide by at least 600mm high, it may be necessary to adjust the ball valve or carry out routine maintenance.

Most use a sheet of 12mm plywood and tile over it, it can be screwed to the studs using cup heads or button covers on the screws.

It should then be hard to notice and even if it is most will now it is a service hatch, the tile grouting can be finished and will only be disturbed if / when access is needed.

There have been times although rare that we had to replace the "Doughnut" washer on close coupled systems, if you can keep the service hatch as big as possible it should be possible to service the unit from the one point.

Kind Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyandsons.com

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

thanks peter .... however i suppose that when you say that if i leave a big enough hole then a single hole would do it is implied that there is enough room left above the cistern to get into it from the front and take the top off etc ( because i will have a shelf over the cistern - as opposed to cencealing it behind a stud wall that goes all the way to the ceiling) . i want to keep this shelf below window level .... so that would mean that i need to keep the cistern as low as possible - do you know if there's a downward limit - obviously it needs to be above the flushpipe i know but ....

. ... i've read that post and if you dont understand it i dont blame you ... sorry -- i really need to draw a picture or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Bob,

A close coupled pan and cistern is approx 800mm from the floor to the lid of the cistern.

If you can leave 150mm between the lid of the cistern and the shelf, obviously depending on the depth of the shelf, it should be possible to carry out any maintenance required.

Also a service valve on the water supply to the cistern would be a major help, the service valve is very similar to a Conex Straight connector only it has what looks like a screw in the front and works the same as a washing machine valve.

Now we are both confused :confused:

Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyandsons.com

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

no not at all

thanks for your help

bob

Advertisement