Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisey Oil Heating

Options
  • 09-01-2005 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have oil central heating. When I turn it on .. it heats up the rads grand. BUT .. sometimes it sounds like there is someone with a drill inside the wall.

Any ideas?

B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Have you had the pipes flushed out recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

You could have a lot of air in the system.
    Are the rad's same temp from top to bottom. Bleed them if thier not.

OR it could be expansion noises
    The copper pipes are expanding due to the heat, Your could be hearing the friction between the pipe & whatever its contacting.
    Start looking in the hot press first & check the expansion pipes going into the attic if its rubbing off the ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

where is the noise....in the burner??

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No, it isn't any of those things. The noise seems to be coming from the pump. It is a very rattley, sometimes sounds like a mini drilling noise. The radiators are fine, the heat is uniform and outside by the burner sounds grand. Just the wall beside the switch where the timer (and I mean the entire wall upstairs and down) you can hear the noise (it can be loud if no telly is on). It is a pretty small house though. Its not always like that way .. but most times ..

I have a strange feeling that the pump is going to go.

:eek: B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi bubby,

Either the pump is about to go or there is air trapped at the pump, it is possible to vent the pump but just in case it needs replacing I would prefer you get a professional in.

A "Bottle Vent" may also help keep the system clear of air.

Regards,

Peter Crawley,

www.crawleyandsons.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Bleeding a pump is straight forward. JUST BE CAREFUL - there is a big screw, which looks for all the world like the opening on an old piggy bank. While the pump is running give it a small turn with a large screw driver. You have to be careful not to go mad unscrewing it just a little turn at a time until you see water, THEN STOP AND CLOSE IT.

Dirt/air in the system may have made its way to your pump therefore damaging the impeller but bleeding it a bit might let it pass.

Also check your small heating expansion tank in the attic (if you have one) to see if there is water in it, post a reply if this water is hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like excess pressure in the system.

Is the safety valve / expansion pipe blocked? Any valves turned off that shouldn't be turned off (like the water supply valve)?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

captin...she can nea take much more. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Victor wrote:
    Sounds like excess pressure in the system.

Is the safety valve / expansion pipe blocked? Any valves turned off that shouldn't be turned off (like the water supply valve)?

Thanks a LOT for all this feedback everyone.
    Victor and Davidoco .. you both have very interesting points. BUT, I haven't got a clue what the expansion pipe is. I'm just going to boot it into the attic and stick my paw in one of the tanks to see if either has hot water

{Bubby boots it up the staighre .. boom boom .. oh me head on the v shaped roof I keep forgetting about .. }

Hmm .. I can see only one massive tank .. cold water. There is also a little read half-dumb-bell-type thing. Everything is cold.

Now, this evening ..would you believe, there is no noise at all!! For the first time in weeks. BUT, I turn off these system and back on again and the noise starts. I think it is the pump .. like dirt or plain about to go.

More money I suppose. Due to the fact that haven't a clue about plumbing .. me thinks it is time to call an expert.

Thanks again everyone.
    wideband wrote:
    captin...she can nea take much more. :eek:

Ders Klingons in the water tank .. shake 'em off Jim :)

Advertisement