Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modem dropping line.

Options
  • 09-01-2005 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering. My NTL cable modem has been dropping the line for no reason a few times in the last 24 hours. I unplug the modem and turn it on again and its fine but it occurs again a while later. Has anybody else had a similar problem. It happens every 2 hours or so. The general line speed has been fine just to note and i'm in the D7 area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

yep...i had that problem also about a year ago

NTL ran a new cable from the fascia board into my house, they said the old type of cable gives problems.....i havn't had any problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

wideband wrote:
    yep...i had that problem also about a year ago

NTL ran a new cable from the fascia board into my house, they said the old type of cable gives problems.....i havn't had any problems since.

The problem is though that it only did this on rare occasions before and only once on them occasions and i've had an active line for 36 hours continiuously before until i turned the modem off but its been doing it repeatedly for the last day and it's irritating. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It happens from time to time with my NTL connection too. Not too often though. I was losing connection over the last few days myself, but it seems ok now. The solution, as with everything NTL, is to wait until it stops happening.

It seems O.K. now. Might have been an exchange service or something but these unexpected line outages are really pissing me off! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

it used to happen to me possible twice in week and then not for a forthnight....and as i said above the cable replacement fixed it :)

• Advertisement

wideband wrote:
    it used to happen to me possible twice in week and then not for a forthnight....and as i said above the cable replacement fixed it :)

I recently replaced the cable from my CATV point to the modem and I'm fine getting a sync with the downstream. The problem is that the ready light has been flashing instead of going solid. At the very least this is getting annoying. Even as i write this it dropped the line AGAIN! TWICE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

I too am in D7 and I have been having exactly the same problem all weekend. So it looks like it's an issue in this area.

However, it's been fine since about 8pm this evening.

I phoned NTL yesterday and they told me nobody else reported a problem and they are sending out an engineer on Tuesday. I was going to cancel but now maybe I'll get them to replace the cable!

capistrano wrote:
    I too am in D7 and I have been having exactly the same problem all weekend. So it looks like it's an issue in this area.

However, it's been fine since about 8pm this evening.

I phoned NTL yesterday and they told me nobody else reported a problem and they are sending out an engineer on Tuesday. I was going to cancel but now maybe I'll get them to replace the cable!

It's 9.30 and its still happening to me. It fine and then it seems to crash and reboot for no reason. Unless the weather has affected it somehow.

Infini wrote:
    Unless the weather has affected it somehow.
    I thought that too, but their support person denied all knowledge of any weather related problems in our area.

I don't use their email but I did notice that that their email server (pop.ntlworld.com) was down Friday and Saturday. So they wre having some technical problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Have you phoned NTL, infini?

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:
    Have you phoned NTL, infini?

I can't now. Might try tuesday if this keeps up but it might start working normally tomorrow. Usually these things work out within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What the hell is the point in coming on here and moaning, but not phoning them?

Sigh.

Infini wrote:
    I can't now. Might try tuesday if this keeps up but it might start working normally tomorrow. Usually these things work out within 24 hours.
    But they need to be told when things go wrong. Otherwise they'll never improve the service - you gotta stick the puppy's nose in the piss!
    Besides if you called they might realise that there is a broadband issue in D7 and not just an isolated case in my house.

I phoned the guys today. They weren't sure and are also sending out a technichan to my house. In my case it may be that the modem is faulty. (It came in a plastic bag instead of a box when I got it). Still I won't know for certain until tomorrow...

My connection has been constant since Sunday evening. Whay about yours, Infini? I cancelled the engineer today as it is working agian.

Still dodgy but they said it might be the modem itself.

Infini wrote:
    Still dodgy but they said it might be the modem itself.
    Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.

Well the mystery is solved. The guy from NTL came round and checked the line. It turns out that the reason the sync was coming on but not the rdy light was because of signal degriation between the cable modem and the CATV point. He said that the signal needs to be between -4 and +4 dbs. The one at my end was -17. In anycase the solution's to either have a line directly laid into the room (which the NTL guy said the guy installing the modem should have done and also what wideband mentioned) or install digital compliant signal boosters that allow 2-way connections in the places where the cable line splits. Should also note that y-splitters degrade the signal performance by -5db.

Did the engineer actually do something? Like replace the cable or install a booster. If so, is everything working fine now?

I'm asking because an engineer is coming round to check mine tomorrow.

He used a device that checks the strenght of the signal. Found the y-splitters were degrading the signal in my case. Also said the guy installing the modem should have put in a seperate CATV for the modem the first time. Have you tried getting a sync and rdy light from your CATV point by plugging the modem directly into it?

• Advertisement

My NTL line dropping problems seem to be all solved. They replaced the junction box where the cable enters the house, which was old and seemed to be degrading the signal. They also boosted the signal strength generally in the area. It's been working flawlessly for a week now and what's more the picture quality on the analog TV channels has gotten much better - they used to be pretty crap.

On the modem configuration screen it is now showing the signal stength as 4dBmv, whereas it used to be about -14dBmv!

So, I'm a happy NTL camper again!

Yeah I know what you mean. The signal on my CATV point is nearly 4DB when its plugged directly in but I drops to -6DB in the bedroom. Guy from NTL's coming to install a brand new point in my room on tuesday. No more crap internet for me!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

capistrano wrote:
    <snip>
    On the modem configuration screen it is now showing the signal stength as 4dBmv, whereas it used to be about -14dBmv!

Hi,
    How do you access the NTL modem config screen? :confused:

causAl

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Open your browser.

Connect to http://192.168.100.1/

You can't really configure anything, just look at the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

seamus wrote:
    Open your browser.

By the way, the user and password is root.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

seamus wrote:
    Open your browser.

#
    Think they are having signal issues in D15 area too fine signal unitl end of Jan !!! Pings betwen 8 - 10 are crap on a 1.5meg line !!! Thisnk its an upstream issue !! the down is fine !!!

Anyone know what the problem might be ??

By the way, the user and password is root.
    The user and password on my setup are both "admin".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

capistrano wrote:
    The user and password on my setup are both "admin".

Yeah both those logins work, thanks guys.

Out of interest, how do these values compare with other people?
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.94 dBmv
    Downstream SNR : 35.14 dB
    Upstream Transmit Power Level : 39.00 dBmv

causAl

I'm getting:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.04 dBmv
    Downstream SNR : 35.55 dB
    Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.25 dBmv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Downstream Receive Power Level : -13.5 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 33.6 dB
    Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.0 dBm

Ah im off to ring them that power level is not good.

Advertisement