Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Cork - Professional singer/guitarist/producer needs rhythm section for gigs

Options
  • 09-01-2005 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Originally from England I have lived and worked in the US for several years a a live performer and producer and I'm now moving to Cork in February. I will also be there from January 12 to 22nd. I have a new album out with my band Sweeper and I am looking for a bass player and drummer for live shows in Ireland. I will also be looking for a place to set up my studio and continue working as a producer. More information is on my website:

www.simonwiddowson.com

BIO
    British producer/musician Simon Widdowson, originally from Leeds, England, moved to Minneapolis and toured the US extensively in the late 90's, as a solo singer/songwriter and with a band averaging over 200 shows a year for 5 years.

Opposed to the American corporate music industry he independently released a handful of albums which received national airplay and strong press reviews.

Moving to Portland Oregon in 2001, he opened the legendary "Are You Listening?" Recording Studio and Art Space where he went on to engineer and produce critically acclaimed albums for artists such as: Decemberists, Hindi Guns, Man of the Year, Pete Krebs, Nicole Campbell, Papillon, Charmparticles, Little Sue, Stephanie Schneiderman and David Smith.

In spring 2003 Widdowson formed a new band, Sweeper, (also the title of his previous solo album) The impressive line up of Man of the Year bassist Kelly Simmons, King Black Acid drummer Jason Bedard and Everclear keyboardist James Beaton, all highly respected musicians who Widdowson had met during his work as a producer.

The band recorded the basic tracks for "frame" at Are You Listening? just before it closed in December 2003. Widdowson then went to Santa Fe, New Mexico in 2004 to finish the album alone. Available now from CDBaby.com and itunes.

Frustrated with the state of American politics and culture, Widdowson moved back to Europe in December 2004 and now divides his time between the UK, Italy and Ireland.

"Widdowson offers songs of sharp prowess, including stellar lyrics, sweet melodies, and enough contrast - from the opening rocker, "Call Out A Rescue", to the meditative "Killing The Very Thing" - to make things extremely interesting and pleasing to the ears. Here's a beautiful, highly-anticipated full-length" Alex Steininger, In Music We Trust, Record Label

"I'm convinced that Simon Widdowson saw it coming. The evidence is beyond argument. He felt it, wrote it, sang it, recorded it and released it. "Frame", the new album from Sweeper, Widdowson's almost single-handed band, manages to capture so many of the feelings that so many people are experiencing today so impeccably, so articulately, that I find myself slightly awestruck."
    Brent Ballantyne, Writer.

"Sweeper, a brooding romance-damaged pop album that can summon either Nine Inch Nails or Leonard Cohen as needed. On disc, Widdowson is a bruised yet refined presence, a guy who's been around but still has the energy to put his words across with muscle."
    Zach Dundas, Portland Willamette Week

"British transplant Simon Widdowson is a prolific socially conscious songwriter who wears his heart on his sleeve and whose nimble phrasing recalls both Graham Parker and Van Morrison"
    Billboard Magazine

Advertisement