Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you first start a band?

Options
  • 08-01-2005 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what age people started trying to form bands cos I think I'm a lil young and that I won't find people that young here. Also, if anyone wants to form a band, I play guitar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I was twenty when i first joined my current band, the only 'proper' band i was ever in. I played about in a few things since I was 15 or so though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I was only 13 when I started my first band. I went from bass player to drummer to singer and keyboarder in 25 years. Funny how time flies when you´re having fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Well, all i can say is there is no point in starting a band if you are crap. You should probably get to a certain level first, and if you are THAT young you should try and start up a band among your friends, cos presumably them being as young as you they haven't started anything yet either. I mean if you are 13 or lower or something you don't wanna be meeting up with people on your own in temple bar, even if they say they are your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well jamming with people is good for learning no matter what age you are. Whether or not you call it a band doesn't make a difference. My first band was when I was 16. The current line up isn't much different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I was 19 and playing for over 2 years. My skill level increased loads after I joined the band too. It's a great way to improve your playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I started playing in my school band when I was 15. I got in my first "real" band when I was 17. Playing with other musicians is the best way to improve as a musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Dave wrote:
    I was 19 and playing for over 2 years. My skill level increased loads after I joined the band too. It's a great way to improve your playing.

Me too, except i was 18. And since i was self taught, playing with other people really bit me on the ass about how much I needed to improve. Two years on, and I still have to improve a lot of my technique.

But if you are 13 or lower, it's gonna be hard to find people your age to play with, since around that age, musicians like drummers just can't afford a drumkit at that age, so wouldn't have access to drumkits unless a parent/older sibling plays drums. What I would recommend you do is wait a few years (be patient!) and hone your skills and, if possible, find a local band you know and just ask to jam with them (not join them) the odd time, so you can get a feel for playing along to drums and bass, as opposed to a cd player, and go home and play to a metronome and record yourself and listen to see what you can do to improve. Then when you reach an appropriate age, you are more than ready to join a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

About thirteen. Got kicked out sharpish though by the backstabbing bastards. What age are you? I play guitar and bass and I'm fifteen. I've been looking for a band for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wow, a mixed reaction there but thanks for the replies! :-( Looks like I'm gonna have to wait then! I know a few musicians (I don't know any drummers, surprise surprise!) my age but they're not really interested in joining a band! I would love just to jam with a band but, to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start! I'm not a great guitar player but I'm fairly good, if average, knowing the basic (and some non-basic!) scales for soloing, techniques etc. but I've never been in a band so...thats why I'm looking! Don't laugh, but I'm only 13. And I hate it! I absolutely hate my age! Someone has suggested to wait, so I think I'll do that. I really want to improve as a guitarist but I'm not really going anywhere at the mo, despite having guitar lessons for about 3 years, maybe more.

But still, if there's any young musicians out there who want to form a band, I'm willing! That is if they don't mind my age :-(

Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If you have friends who are willing to just jam with you, do that. I went from being a really lousy bassist to just a lousy bassist by playing with other people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

yeah, well there is a certain amount of commitment you need to the instrument and music itself before you commit to a band. I don't think anyone is ever actually satisfied with how good they are no matter how long they've been playing. So practicing more than you already do can't hurt, especially if you think you have made little head way after three years!!! There is no reason to be ashamed of your age, in fact now is the time that you will be able to do the most practice, when you get into the senior cycle of school you won't have half as much time to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Don't laugh, but I'm only 13. And I hate it! I absolutely hate my age! Someone has suggested to wait, so I think I'll do that.

What? You're lucky being a fairly good guitar player at 13. I only started playing guitar when I was 20. I wish I had discovered it earlier. Just think how good you'll be when you're 20. It's not fair. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah. I wish I started younger. That way by the time you're starting to play with bands, you're miles ahead of your peers and you'll have no problem finding people to play with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If you're old enough to play an instrument you're old enough to play in a band. Do it and enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Buy the ticket.. Take the ride..
    I joined up when I was 13.. was barely playing guitar... ten years later...
    Ya get hooked on that feeling of playing live..
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Just from reading your above post, you say that you feel you're not goin anywhere with your playing. Did you think about getting classical lessons or any other different styles. Just to break away from the norm. It would improve your playing I've no doubt. And stand to you when you eventually start writing your own stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Wow! Thanks to those last 7 people after my post (I'm not gonna list your names!) Oh, and of course to everyone else but..yeah! I've decided to make myself available but if I don't get a band going it's not the end of the world, I'll just practise loads more! And I'm starting to be relieveed that I started playing a few years ago so that (like someone said, there) I'll be good by the time I'm 20 or something! Thats the age where serious bands get together and so that's good. Right now, I'll look for bands to jam with just for the experiance and maybe form a few too! I've always been interested in bands from a very young age and I'm even more into it this year, wanting to form bands etc. This has been an interesting thread and I might even consider getting classical lessons like someone said because that would improve my playing! I like the classical guitar too (yes..and punk, rock, pop, metal, oldies etc.!!!) and I know how to play this really nice classical piece so I might get more in depth with that! Once again, thanks everyone! And don't hesitate to pm me if you wanna join a band and need a 13 year old average (maybe even more!) guitarist! lol
    Peace,
    Linda
    :D

Advertisement