Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a book please....

Options
  • 07-01-2005 6:48pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Finished the Cryptonomicon and I have started on the Baroque trilogy, which , while good are not really in the same league (IMHO)...

I also liked Blue Nowhere by Jeffrey Deaver (which is strange as I usually dont like his stuff)

Digital fortress by dan browne was just non-computer user's computer crime for the masses....

so, can anyone suggest a crime/action/horror/mystery/fantasy book that has

a good plot
    makes you think
    is obvious that the author actually knows what he is talking about and not just presenting a "hackers" (as in the film) gloss over the techy bits

about to go on a book spree so suggestions would be welcome (and a link to a review if possible!)

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Filth - Irvine Welsh
    Cant reccomend it enough. Its about a crooked detective so I guess you could call it a crime novel. One of my favourite books in teh world ever volume 2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0224041185/customer-reviews/qid=1105120578/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-6540424-4954026
    some bad reviews there - The book may not be for everyone as you need a strong stomach, it is quite...well filthy.

I am Legend - Richard Metheson
    Also cant reccomend this enough. Last man alive on earth and everyone else is vampires....sounds likes its been done before ? well this was written in 1954 and influenced many vampire and zombie movies. Really well written too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1857988094/customer-reviews/qid=1105120680/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-6540424-4954026
    Just look at the reviews....5 stars all round.

Day of The Triffids - John Wyndam
    Horror/sci Fi. This move must have inspired 28 days later, there are so many similarities its uncany. Great book and one of the best Ive read this year.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0345435303/customer-reviews/qid=1105120800/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-6540424-4954026

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

Try Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Caution it's not for the timid.

If that's a little too strong try his Bordor trilogy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'd recommend any of Tom Robbins books though Still Life with the Woodpecker and Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates would be my favourites of his.

Otherwise for kind of gruesome I'd go for The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, if you haven't already read it, it has a fantastic ending.

Vernon God Little is also great.

In fact I can think of loads of great books but i think I'll stop there before I recommend everything I've ever read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If you fancy a challenge, Stephen King's 7 dark tower books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Transmission by Hari Kunzru would seem to fit your specifications. It's not excellent, but is worth a read and the author does know what he's talking about. A lot of the reviews on the Amazon site unfairly penalise the book by comparing it to his well received debut, The Impressionist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

George P. Pelecanos is good for crime thrillers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

tad williams - otherland (sci-fi/fantasy)

george r.r. martin - a song of ice and fire (fantasy, best series ever)

janny wurts - the cycle of fire Trilogy (mostly fantasy, but the fantasy elements of the story are kinda sci-fi related... fantastic series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rorygbluz

One flew over the cuckoos nest..Ken Kesey......A work of art

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CptWillard

In the horror category i would recommend Stephen Kings "The Shining " or Bram Stokers "Dracula " .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

What did you eventually get Lolth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Ended up getting the name of the rose and focaults pendulum. They were going cheap in waterstones as a double pack :)
    Have transmission on order from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

The Last Stand - Stephen King. This is one of the most compelling books I have ever read, it really is impossible to put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Read Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre - Savage! I saw it for cheap in the hidden bookshop place near tower records but i own it already so go there an but it! NOW!(if you're in dublin, if not just read the fuker! its good honest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Strongly reccommend the 'Mars' trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    In his three "Mars" novels (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars), Kim Stanley Robinson constructed a vision of the Red Planet and humanity's evolving relationship with it that spans hundreds of years and as many characters. The achievement has been likened to "War and Peace with spaceships"; another comparison might be to a space-age Moby Dick.
    Space.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

The Forger by Paul Watkins
    Action thriller set in WWII Paris dealing with art forgery and bartering fakes to Hitler's art dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erceefce

Tusky wrote:
    I am Legend - Richard Metheson
    Also cant reccomend this enough. Last man alive on earth and everyone else is vampires....sounds likes its been done before ? well this was written in 1954 and influenced many vampire and zombie movies. Really well written too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/1857988094/customer-reviews/qid=1105120680/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_3_1/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/026-6540424-4954026
    Just look at the reviews....5 stars all round.

one of my favourites :)

also:
    Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist
    Paulo Coelho - The devil and miss Prym

Advertisement