Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime time cartoons of yesteryear

Options
  • 07-01-2005 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

what happen to the good auld shows, like thundercats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Thundercats, old-ghostbusters, old he-man, mask, old-turtles all excellent cartoons.

Notice I say old in front of some of those cartoons as many them have been ruined by japanese cartoon creators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

nothing wring with japenise cartoons either..... but yes the origionals were best! i still remember watching all the thundercats videos too ... ah memories

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

They're not prime time cartoons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

In fairness to japanese creators, it's generally some idiot suits deciding to hand over western cartoons to japanese developers because of the buzz about cartoons like Dragon Ball Z, Yu gi oh, pokemon, digimon and the associated profitability of these cartoons.

Japanese cartoons can still be class tho - the original Dragon Ball series with Goku as a kid being trained by Master Turtle and searching for the Dragon Balls was great stuff (although I watched it in spanish - the american translations I've seen have sucked), Samurai Pizza Cats was cool in a very silly way (again - saw it in spanish, american translations may well suck), and Ranma 1/2 was one of the funniest and strangest cartoons I saw as a kid. Mind you, since we're talking old prime time cartoons - my all-time favourite was Tom & Jerry, but only the episodes produced by Chuck Jones. They were and are very funny, whereas the stuff with Fred Quimby producing was, well, a bit rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

old prime time cartoons: The flintstones and the Jetsons. they were both crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Anyone remember foghorn leghorn? loved that cartoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think King Of The Hill, Bevis And Butthead and possibly Ren And Stimpy would fall under Prime Time Cartoons. But not Thundercats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I think King Of The Hill, Bevis And Butthead and possibly Ren And Stimpy would fall under Prime Time Cartoons. But not Thundercats.
    Very true, they should really be discussed in All things Retro. Thundercats I mean.

i used to watch king of the hill a fair bit, it was very under rated,

do you remember the eposide where peggy tool bobbys class to mexico, and thought she knew everything, and ended up accused of kidnapping a local girl?

sheer brillience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Always thought King Of The Hill was rubbish, except for Boomhauer.

My favourite Prime-Time Cartoon of yesteryear was The Critic, closely followed by soem show it was on BBC2 - Nervous Eric (not sure is that the proper name, but it was class).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Lately i like "Powerpuff Girls" and "I am weasel" (Worf is the weasel, ha!,ha!)

Old shows: Top Cat and Droopy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

What ever happened to "Hoit And Andy" (spelling?). That used to be on about 8 years ago and was very funny. It was a cartoon about 2 sports commentators? Anyone remember?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

i used to watch king of the hill a fair bit, it was very under rated

In retrospect, I agree. I didn't really get it at the time, but that was because I was sitting there thinking "Mike Judge stopped doing Beavis and Butthead to do this?". Then, a couple of years later I watched a few episodes and got into it more.

Best line I remember was when Bobby started smoking in the toilets behind the petrol station and Hank needs to go, so he tries to open the door but Bobby's holding it shut, so Hank says "uh, is this john taken? Este juan esta ocupado?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

Battle of the planets :D

foghorn leghorn was fantastic .... yyyy i aughtta

flintstones was the first ever prime time cartoon :eek:

flintstones was the first ever prime time cartoon

was it really? i know its old, but was it the first one on at prime time? i remember it being on at 6/7pm alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Now Batman the Animated series that was something special.

Advertisement