Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Icelandic for beginners

• 06-01-2005 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere, (evening classes preferably), in Dublin that provides Icelandic lessons??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

i am afraid i don't know of any, have you searched for distance learning courses in Icelandic also, or would that type of learning be of no interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You'll be lucky. I was studying Swedish for two years in Holland before I moved here, and I couldn't find anywhere, except for some rip-off expensive language school. Mainstream languages are pretty easy to find evening classes for here, but anything out of the ordinary is pretty difficult. You'd be better off trying to find an Icelander (?) who lives here and get private lessons methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Katrine

Hi,
    Had a look in "the 2004/2005 national guide to nightcourses", unfortunately I cannot find any icelandic classes.

As for the other Nordic languages, here's what I can find:

Danish Sandford Language Institute, Milltown Park, Sandford Road, Dublin 6
    Tel: 01 260126. Fax: 01 2601298. Email: info@sandfordlanguages.ie.
    Web:www.sandfordlanguages.ie.
    Description: All levels * 14 Weeks * Eves - 1.5 Hrs/WK * €250

Finnish Sandford Language Institute, Milltown Park, Sandford Road, Dublin 6

Norwegian Sandford Language Institute, Milltown Park, Sandford Road, Dublin 6

I know that they used to do Swedish a few years back, but it seems as if they have stopped doing those classes.

Take care,
    Katrine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They used to, indeed, but considering I was doing Swedish evening classes in Holland for one tenth of that price, I didn't take them up on their offer :).

I think they're more after the "corporate" kind of customer than the kind of person who just wants to learn a language for a bit of fun.

Advertisement