Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Jazzer!!

Options
  • 05-01-2005 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

well i got my first bit of jazz.. i got impressions of paris and Road Games... i have to admit im fairly impressed.. I can see where Vai gets his influences when i listen to Holdsworth!!:D

But i am damn impressed with Montgomery!! i'm sittin here listening to Mr Walker and it's sooo soothing, excellent!..

I can't wait to learn some of these licks on guitar!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Holdsworth is great. Road Games is a harsh sounding album compared to his trademark sound that evolves later on. Check out "The Sixteen Men Of Tain" (Click on the music store box). The album is absolutly beautiful! Like a dream.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have both admitted heavy Allan Holdsworth influence in thier music. Very heavy.

Oh and this site is absolutly superb for Allan Holdsworth tabs and quotes about his music from other artists. He is currently touring. I hope he likes Guinness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Bert Fever

So Glad wrote:
    Holdsworth is great. Road Games is a harsh sounding album compared to his trademark sound that evolves later on. Check out "The Sixteen Men Of Tain" (Click on the music store box). The album is absolutly beautiful! Like a dream.

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have both admitted heavy Allan Holdsworth influence in thier music. Very heavy.

Vai spent a good amount of time transcribing Allans music.

Allans best solo IMO - solo on "Devil take the Hindmost"

Transcription

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

So Glad you Holdsworth nut!

Man get some more Wes for the bebop stuff, his lines are amazing, Boss Guitar is a great album to take a listen to and there's a Jazz Masters one on Verve too which has some great stuff....if you're in or around Dublin you live near one of the greatest Jazz Guitarists of all time, Louis Stewart, he plays on a regular basis in Dublin so go see him...And if you're into double time amazing 8th note lines go no further then Pat Martino..."Live at Yoshi's" or "Strings".

There's a good lot for you to get listening to :)

oh yeah Grant Green is good too, and Jim Hall, and of course John McLaughlin, John Abercrombie....and yes Allan Holdsworth!!!

Fusion
    :cool:

I do like my Allan Holdsworth. I just don't have the money to buy any more albums but I will definitly check out the ones you said. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

hows it going guys.. does anyone have any finger exercises for 'jazz movements'... just realised last night that my fingers are not used to moving in this was when playing lead:) i need to get used to it, so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Have a look here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    hows it going guys.. does anyone have any finger exercises for 'jazz movements'... just realised last night that my fingers are not used to moving in this was when playing lead:) i need to get used to it, so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Thanks;)

What you mean Jazz Movements? As in anything outside the pentatonic scale?

You need to learn your modes man, Major modes, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor etc....

Or if you're feeling really adventurous get this . Tis a great book...a great book indeed...

:cool:

Advertisement