Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to download episodes from

Options
  • 05-01-2005 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Where do you lot download the episodes you missed. i missed episode 7 and 9 (and now 10) and tried using bearshare to download them.

it took 12 and 19 days to get the two of them and then afer all that episode 7 was corrupted and wouldnt play :(

i'm currrently redownloading episode 7 and the projection atm is 4days. but i bet it'll be longer :mad:

any better p2p clients? ftp sites? torrent?

Comments

Well if you are Bold you could read all the way through this thread where people are being very Bold regarding alternatives :D

Other than that just pm someone here as telling you directly is against the charter iirc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Please don't post links to warez sites on this forum. I will update the charter accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Apologies. only posted out of utter frustration.:(

close and delete at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Praetorian wrote:
    Please don't post links to warez sites on this forum. I will update the charter accordingly.

Looking for clarification here.
    I appreciate that warez sites are clearly illegal and basically just passing on stolen intellectual property. But, and please correct me if I am wrong, surely a site that hosts Bit Torrent trackers is quite different from a "warez" site?
    Obviously BT can be used for illegal purposes but that doesn't make it illegal itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

in theory you're right, but a Site which gives you links for downloading various warez, is also considered a warez sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

The same argument could be applied to driving a car. Its not illegal in itself but however you could use the car to drive in excess of the speed limit.

You canno deny a person access to a car because you think they will drive too fast... you just have to wait and see if they will and accordinly give them penalty points.

However, if a person is asking advice on how to exceed the speed limit, should you answer them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Gilgamesh wrote:
    in theory you're right, but a Site which gives you links for downloading various warez, is also considered a warez sight.

Does that mean that Google is a warez site then!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I appreciate that warez sites are clearly illegal and basically just passing on stolen intellectual property. But, and please correct me if I am wrong, surely a site that hosts Bit Torrent trackers is quite different from a "warez" site?
    Obviously BT can be used for illegal purposes but that doesn't make it illegal itself?

From the updated charter, "Do not post links to episodes, bittorrent, p2p, ftp, http or otherwise."

If you have missed an episode, you could pm some of the regulars, as some of them may be able to help you to locate the episode(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

lynchie wrote:

'tis quite true,

I bow towards your superior intellect, [drool]
    there must be a way to define the difference between a warez site and a search engine.
    but does google list you torrents directly?
    never actually tried it.
    then again, astalavista is just a search system, but is considered awarez or crackz site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

lynchie wrote:

Google has in the past deleted links to websites that contain illegal and controversial material when requested to do so by lawyers and the US Govt. Do a search for Abu Gharib pics for instance.

Your analogy isn't correct though. If google exclusively searched just torrent websites then yes it would be a warez site and wouldn't live for more than a week. The Google bot that trawls the net is fairly non-discriminatory and therefore has 8 billion pages in it's databases. Were it to search and give results for one specific thing, then yes it would be a search engine for purely illegal content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

well at least we got the charter cleared up. ish.

So if i were to say something like:
    "Anyone who knows where i can get the episodes i missed please pm me with the details on how to get em"*
    would that also be against the charter?

*cough cough nod wink

That must be one of the biggest loop holes i have ever seen.....

I think you will have to pm them and keep it off the radar.. basically if the admins catch a sniff of dodgy dealings anywhere else but behind the scenes.... curtains.

Peace wrote:
    However, if a person is asking advice on how to exceed the speed limit, should you answer them?
    (Admires succinctly phrased question - very impressed)
    I think you have hit the nail on the head about Bit Torrent in general.

However, specifically, the original poster asked about getting copies of shows that have already been aired some weeks ago. If I had video'd those shows and then gave that guy my tapes - would that be illegal? If I had a PVR (I mean home media PC or whatver they're called) and then sent that guy the files in an email would that be illegal? Perhaps it might technically be against the law, I genuinely dont know, but in my opinion its not illegal in any meaningful way.
    In a similar way I dont see how its illegal to facilitate watching a show that has already been publicly transmitted even if that involves Bit Torrent.

If I had video'd those shows and then gave that guy my tapes - would that be illegal?

Yeah, according to the law.

If I had a PVR (I mean home media PC or whatver they're called) and then sent that guy the files in an email would that be illegal?

Uh-huh.

I genuinely dont know, but in my opinion its not illegal in any meaningful way.

That's the trouble with the idea of letter of the law and the spirit of the law. Right now a lot of things are becoming too black and white and it goes down to the letter of the law. Loaning a friend a tv program isn't an issue for me. However the dinosaurs in the entertainment industries are seeing new markets emerge and are too lazy and probably stupid to realise that the cultural change is going to happen whether they like it or not and should really change they way they do things to keep in business.

Instead they are doing the most moronic thing ever - they're ike Cuchulainn trying to fight the incoming tide. They're going to lose but before they are totally bankrupt they are throwing truckloads of money at lawyers and political lobbyists to have new laws enacted and to sue websites into oblivion.

The broadcast flag has become a reality in America which means all new devices that can record video signals have an overide command built into them which the entertainment companies have control of. Already in the states people are finding they can no longer record the Sopranos onto dvd and TiVo now makes Six Feet Under episodes self-destruct a few weeks after being recorded. This is just the start of it. 2005 should prove a very interesting year.
    In a similar way I dont see how its illegal to facilitate watching a show that has already been publicly transmitted even if that involves Bit Torrent.

It's illegal because it's against the law. Until the law is challenged and changed it's going to stay like that. What I'd like to see though is all programmes produced by publically funded organisations such as RTE to be offered for download. The BBC are meant to be doing this with their huge library of TV and radio programmes.

I think the issue here is that Boards.ie don't want to be providing information on downloading stuff in breach of copyright laws.
    It's for the protection of the site etc.
    Every board on boards.ie is subject to that restriction iirc.

Earthman wrote:
    I think the issue here is that Boards.ie don't want to be providing information on downloading stuff in breach of copyright laws.
    It's for the protection of the site etc.
    Every board on boards.ie is subject to that restriction iirc.

I hear what you and other posters are saying.

My final question on this topic : is there an actual law in Ireland that actually says it is illegal to download TV shows which have already been transmitted on TV in Ireland? or that actually says it is illegal to videotape a TV show?

Don't know about the law.
    But I think the issue is under copyright infringement this site might be sued by the copyright holder or even you as a private individual for downloading it as it is not licenced for downloading so you are in possesion of an unlicenced product.
    The latter is a technicality and as nearly everybody swaps DVD's and video's etc those in the know rarely chase these things up.
    But obviously they do chase up websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

damien.m wrote:
    Google has in the past deleted links to websites that contain illegal and controversial material when requested to do so by lawyers and the US Govt. Do a search for Abu Gharib pics for instance.

Your analogy isn't correct though. If google exclusively searched just torrent websites then yes it would be a warez site and wouldn't live for more than a week. The Google bot that trawls the net is fairly non-discriminatory and therefore has 8 billion pages in it's databases. Were it to search and give results for one specific thing, then yes it would be a search engine for purely illegal content.

First of all, you're incorrect on the abu gharib pics issue. They have not cencored anything, thats a common internet myth. The simple truth is that their image database updates very slowly [every 6 months] or so, so people searching for abu ghraib photos after it didn't find it and guessed wrongly they were being cencored. see here for more info on that.

Second of all, i'm not sure your correct about google. the filetype:torrent capability is an obvious feature for searching for copyrighted files - they could remove that capability or manage it in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

damien.m wrote:

Some of the hidden features of google. Try this. In the search, put in "linux +filetype:torrent" (without the quotes) and lo and behold google will only return sites with Linux ISO torrents on them. Changing the linux to say, stargate, yields a different set of results :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

theres this shop in dun loaghaire and you get 5 for a tenner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

theres this shop in dun loaghaire and you get 5 for a tenner

Either you're confused or have your facts wrong, or that shop is selling illegal copies of a TV show that's only just airing.

The original poster asked where to download episodes of the show that's currently airing on Sky, Battlestar Galactica.

well no, they have past series real cheep.. its a sale. they are trying to get ride of the stock that usually won't go.

i'm not a fan so i wouldn't know what series they are o if there new or old but its info if you want to check it out

i'll find out the name of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're talking about the new series.

lynchie wrote:
    Some of the hidden features of google. Try this. In the search, put in "linux +filetype:torrent" (without the quotes) and lo and behold google will only return sites with Linux ISO torrents on them. Changing the linux to say, stargate, yields a different set of results :)

ROLF... brilliant, absolutely brilliant..

Thanks man.... woohooo.

dangerman wrote:
    First of all, you're incorrect on the abu gharib pics issue. They have not cencored anything, thats a common internet myth.

Hmmm, ok perhaps, I was sure though that images turned up before and all of a sudden they stopped and then a lot of people kicked up a fuss.

They also censored a lot of sites after the scientologists got legal with them. They are also wholesale censoring search results for the chinese version of google.
    Second of all, i'm not sure your correct about google. the filetype:torrent capability is an obvious feature for searching for copyrighted files - they could remove that capability or manage it in some way.

Could you not say the same about mp3 files ? It's a search for a file type, these files may or not be copyrighted. Again if google had a deliberate way of filtering results and created their own version of suprnova, then the RIAA and MPAA would get pissy. Some might say that using all the commmands that google gives could allow people to do this but I doubt google can be found to be complicit in doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

Oooh you just reminded me to download the latest ep thanks...... :D

I missed the first ep of the season, ep1 33..... and i REALLY want to see it *cough*

Does this mean i'll turn to torrent....
    *cough* *pm* *cough* *hint* *cough*

*cough* :D

Advertisement