Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Procedure for Building an Extension??

Options
  • 04-01-2005 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We're thinking about building a single story extension as well as getting our attic converted. I know we'll need planning permission for the extension due to the size - but what I don't know is what is the correct procedure for going about getting things planned/costed etc. Do we need to get an architect/engineer involved from the start or can I get a builder in to give me a rough estimate as to what it will cost and then get plans drawn up?

I have heard that architects charge a percentage of the cost of the finished extension. Is this true? Can we do without an architect - or does that leave us at the mercy of the builders???

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year

Rumenigge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

my advise is first of all have a meeting with a RIAI registered architect (not an engineer) and discus what exactly your thinking of.

Step 2, have a preliminary set of drawings/sketches done with dimensions shown and a rough specification detailed.....

Step 3 with these either yourself or the Architect can send the details on to several builders for pricing/budgeting.

the reason i say RIAI reg, is you will require certain documents and certs later on.

this would be my recommended route and in the long run the most efficient and cost effective

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Rumenigge wrote:
    We're thinking about building a single story extension as well as getting our attic converted. I know we'll need planning permission for the extension due to the size - but what I don't know is what is the correct procedure for going about getting things planned/costed etc. Do we need to get an architect/engineer involved from the start or can I get a builder in to give me a rough estimate as to what it will cost and then get plans drawn up?

I have heard that architects charge a percentage of the cost of the finished extension. Is this true? Can we do without an architect - or does that leave us at the mercy of the builders???

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year

Rumenigge
    Kark Heinz, the builder should be able to give you a rough estimate to the nearest €1k-2k if you give him a sketch of what you are looking for.

As far as an architect is concerned, I got my brother in law to do the drawings for our house 2 yrs ago when we got a single story extension done and he was just a first year in architects technician course. The drawings were probably as good as you get from a reputable firm and as he was using it as a project, he did them really well. But I put my name down on the drawings as if I had did them. Neighbour of mine also did the same thing.

I think an architects office will charge between 5-10% of the estimated build cost. I would ring around and if you are still stuck drop me a PM and let me know where you are and I'll see if he knows anybody in your locality that could give you a quote.

rough estimate to the nearest €1k-2k

Builder: "Sir, i didnt know that was to be included, and you need that as well...that will be a extra €5k thanks, did i say €5, i actually ment €8k"
    I got my brother in law to do the drawings for our house 2 yrs ago when we got a single story extension done and he was just a first year in architects technician course. The drawings were probably as good as you get from a reputable firm and as he was using it as a project, he did them really well. But I put my name down on the drawings as if I had did them. Neighbour of mine also did the same thing.

Sure the drawings were good...but did he apply for planning, detail the roof structure for the attic conversion and certify the building for the morgage or solicitors...id say not.

dont pick me up wrong,
    but theres horses for courses.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In fairness you do not need an architect to do an extension or attic conversion.

You may not need planning for the extension, then if you do then you will may need to approach an architect.

An good builder should be able to build of your rough sketches, dimension etc will have to be detailed but the builder should be able to do this.
    I know of 3 extensions and 1 attic conversion, non required an architect, all were well finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Do you need planning permission for an attic conversion? I thought it only had to meet building regulations, once you didn't change the roof line/ put velux (or whatever) windows in the back rather than the front?

• Advertisement

wideband wrote:
    Sure the drawings were good...but did he apply for planning, detail the roof structure for the attic conversion and certify the building for the morgage or solicitors...id say not.

dont pick me up wrong,
    but theres horses for courses.
    We had to get full planning permission for our extension. It was to put 2 extra rooms over the existing ground floor utility room and garage to the side of a bog std 3 bed semi. All the roof structure was detailed in the drawings. We didn't need a solicitor as we only needed to release half the cost of the extension from the equity on our mortgage.

The builder was able to give me a rough estimate to within 1-2k of the price when I asked him and then when I gave him the drawings with any specific details, he supplied me witha written quotation which wasn't far off his original estimate. The only thing I added was to dry dash the gable end wall which cost a bit more.

As for pp for attic conversions, I don't think it's necessary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PP for attic only if you put velux or dormer in the front?? Not sure though about that, open to correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

yop wrote:
    PP for attic only if you put velux or dormer in the front?? Not sure though about that, open to correction
    Afaik you only need planning if putting velux in the front of the house. I would assume a proper dormer would need planning as it's changing the roof line. I thought attic conversions had to meet building regulations, but didn't necessarily need pp. Again, this could've changed in recent years, but certainly used to be the case.

Hi all

Should have wrote:
    Sure the drawings were good...but did he apply for planning on the extension, details the roof structure for the attic conversion and certify the building for the morgage or solicitors...id say not.

tks

wideband wrote:
    Hi all

Should have wrote:
    Sure the drawings were good...but did he apply for planning on the extension, details the roof structure for the attic conversion and certify the building for the morgage or solicitors...id say not.

tks
    we didn't get an attic conversion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

If you are turning the attic into a habitable room, I thought an architect had to certify it complies with building regs and fire regs, otherwise when selling you can only advertise the room as storage. Fire regs at that height are quite strict.

Pataman wrote:
    If you are turning the attic into a habitable room, I thought an architect had to certify it complies with building regs and fire regs, otherwise when selling you can only advertise the room as storage. Fire regs at that height are quite strict.
    AFAIK, you just need a Building Certificate from the builder if he is registerd....correct me if I'm wrong.!!!

Pataman wrote:

now there you go Lex Luthor :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rumenigge

Cheers people for the advice.

Have a plan in mind now...

Undoubtedly I'll be back with more dumb questions as the weeks and months progress.

Thanks again.

Rumenigge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Originally Posted by Pataman
    wideband wrote:
    now there you go Lex Luthor :p
    I was getting my info from someone who is getting theirs done at the moment. He was telling me that a certificate could be supplied by the builder when in fact it looks like it has to be supplied by an architect. I sit corrected.
    I confirmed it from this site

http://www.atticconversions.ie/FAQ/FAQ/Navigation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It is not the builders place to sign off on his own work, you could in theory build anything you like but the builder works under "clients instruction", that instruction can come directly from the client their servants or agents, usually an Architect.

The potential problems arise when you go to sell the house, if there is no valid "Opinion of Compliance" signed by a person with Professional Liability Insurance, you may have difficulty selling or take a big drop in the price if you can't get an Architect to supply the paperwork.

Attic Conversions are constructed to building regulations when they are proposed living spaces like bed rooms and do need a certificate of compliance at the very least.

Most attics are constructed based on the use being for storage, that is how they can be done without the formal paperwork and not effect the value of your property, most if required can get a certificate of exemption from the planning local office.

I would advise attending a pre planning meeting with your local planning officer if there is any cause for doubt.

The planning laws today are very loose until there is a problem like an objection from neighbours, personally I would prefer the title on my house to clean and clear.

Advertisement