Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Éireann Bally Friendly People

Options
  • 04-01-2005 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Nothing new here folks, just wanted to point out that Bus Eireann are pulling the usual stroke and hiking the prices up again this year, on january the 10th I think. Looking forward to another year of delays, apathetic drivers and cramped $hitty buses.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

*CuLT buys up a year's supply of bus tickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

what!?!?!

i nearly had a heart attack the last time they told me the cost of a galway to cork return.
    any more expensive and it'd be cheaper to just ****ing fly there instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

tman wrote:
    what!?!?!

i nearly had a heart attack the last time they told me the cost of a galway to cork return.
    any more expensive and it'd be cheaper to just ****ing fly there instead

E22.50 or so - that's not much although the buses are uncomfortable and smell bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

yeah?
    i could've sworn it was the best part of €40 :confused:

but then again, i don't have a very clear memory of the rest of that weekend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

So what? They increase the prices because they HAVE to, not because they want to. It's like the toll bridge increase. Im sick and tired of hearing people complaining about it. The hike is miniscule, you'd have to be some sort of poor stink to think that its a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

how much is the increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Will they be increasing the price of city service buses as well? It's already €1.20 for a bus service where every 2nd bus doesn't show up.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Berger don't be suck a ****ing troll. Have you seen how much PROFIT bus eireann make?!? It's disgusting! They put the prices up several times last year, it's an absolute joke!

As for the toll bridge, if the thing was only new then I could understand them putting prices up, but it's been paid for hundreds of times over if not more, THERE SHOULD NOT BE A TOLL ON THAT BRIDGE.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Student return from Cavan to Dublin went up by 25% straight away when the oil prices shot up......and they're blaming this increase on that same rise in oil prices. Might drop 'em a mail to see what the story is with that.

Oh please. Are you that financialy retarded that you have to get all huffy over a couple of pence (WHICH IS WHAT IT IS)?

Im not a troll, Im just sick to death of people moaning CONSTANTLY about this crap. Also, it doesnt matter if the bridge is paid for a million times over. It's privately owned, they dont give a dogs bollox what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeh and Dublin Bus have gone up aswell

5 cent on everything under 1.65 and 10 cent on everything 1.65 or over.

Doesn't sound like much now butit adds up

Berger like it or not, you are a troll.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

yeah 10 cents once a year dosent sound much, until you realise that in 10 years time your gonna be paying double what your paying now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

eth0_ wrote:
    Berger don't be suck a ****ing troll. Have you seen how much PROFIT bus eireann make?!? It's disgusting! They put the prices up several times last year, it's an absolute joke!

Several price rises last year? Do provide some details.
    Profit? Again details.

And where do you think the profit goes, unlike 99% of companies all of us deal with any "profits" made by CIE are re-invested into services, there isn't some group of shareholders who divvy it up and deposit it into Swiss bank accounts.

I think you are the troll, accusing someone of being a troll because they have a different opinion to yours. Pretty pathetic.

And they always increase it way more than they say they will. Like that time they got approval for a 10% rise in fares and fares went up by 25%.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I don't have any proof of price rises from last year and i'm not about to go hunting around the net for them, but believe me, they did go up several times last year, trust me, I used to get the bus to work.

As for investing money back into the company that's a laugh, year on year the service gets worse. The only decent thing Bus Eireann have managed to get off their fat arses and do the last few years, is put on the Night Rider service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sam41

well imagine my suprise 2day gettin on d bus 2 b charged 10 bloody euro 2 get ta dub n then 2 top dat off i had 2 wait in bus-****ing freezing-arus 4 an hour n a half ta get home....2 make matters even worse i 4got 2 get a cd i really wanted so all in all twas a pretty **** day...bus eireann suck balls

Wow, how elagantly put sam. Thanks for your wise and well thought out opinion on this matter!

Back to yourself eth0. You dont seem to have a clue really. The bus fares went up once last year as far as I remember. The buses dont even make any profit, hence why they're considering privatisation of some of their services. Please get some sort of clue before you start off spouting ****e about this and that when you dont have a sniff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

AFAICR CIE have never made a profit on either the rail or bus "services".
    It's a bit piss-assy to go shouting troll at everyone you don't agree with, tbh and downright ludicrous to suggest that someone could be a troll involuntarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

sam 41??? That have an English translation, mate?

As for the figures, 25% in one go and 100% in ten years you are talking through your arses boys.

Here are some actual fares from Dublin Bus.
    1994 2005
    €0.70 €0.90
    €1.01 €1.30
    €1.21 €1.50
    €1.40 €1.75

Looks like about 25-30% increase in 11 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I rarely get Dublin bus anymore. Its an extra 10 mins walk, but I find the Luas better. It's dearer than Dublin bus, but I don't mind paying an extra 20c for a good service. I think if Dublin bus had a better service people would object less to prices going up.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Some of us don't have much of a choice. I live in Firhouse, served by the 49 and 75. Both horribly unreliable. If I lived any closer to the Square I'd use the Luas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tman wrote:
    yeah?
    i could've sworn it was the best part of €40 :confused:

:D

eth0_ you wouldnt be calling him a troll if you knew anything about the toll bridge. It has created a whole new class of crazy for its self!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Berger wrote:
    So what? They increase the prices because they HAVE to, not because they want to. It's like the toll bridge increase. Im sick and tired of hearing people complaining about it. The hike is miniscule, you'd have to be some sort of poor stink to think that its a big deal.

Call me a poor stink whatever the hell that is but I, like many other in this country, am both trying to get value for money and not be ripped off. Granted there is a bad inflation situation in this country but over the years Bus Eireanns service has gotten worse not better. For more money we can still expect later times getting to our destinations, a constantly $hitty service, buses in poor nick, bad attituded and totally racist drivers, the old "have you nothing smaller" or "I don't have change" excuses etc.
    Bus Eireann is one of the many companies ran by the government which operates on a more-money-worse-service rule. Its like there is a perfect correlation between paying more and recieving a bad service. God, I really hope that one day, one day, we'll get privatisation. I don't care if the prices goes up, it always goes up anyway, but at least I'd have a choice and not be stuck with the same old Bull$hit.

Berger wrote:
    Oh please. Are you that financialy retarded that you have to get all huffy over a couple of pence (WHICH IS WHAT IT IS)?

Say hello to a celtic tiger cub everyone. Bred in captivity, it still dreams of one day being released into the wild in portmarnock or blackrock.
    You, sir, are a wanker. Guess that makes me a troll now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Only problem I have with bus eireann in Limerick is the one bus route that I do use is always bloody full all the time. if they used a double decker bus on that one route it might be worth the extra five or ten cent to be able to get a seat. I want to see some sort of an improvment in the service to coinside with my fare increase.

Trains are also going up. paid €38 for a one way ticket after the boards beer in november ant the train was something out of the 1970s and

Dublin Bus work out cheaper than the busses down here anyway so ye shouldnt be complaining all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

eth0_ wrote:
    Berger like it or not, you are a troll.

because of his opinion on Bus Eireann's increases? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for the figures, 25% in one go and 100% in ten years you are talking through your arses boys.

Here are some actual fares from Dublin Bus.
    1994 2005
    €0.70 €0.90
    €1.01 €1.30
    €1.21 €1.50
    €1.40 €1.75

Looks like about 25-30% increase in 11 years.

Well I live in Cork. The bus fares went from 90c to €1.10 when they got an approval for a 10% increase. They've since gone up to €1.20. 10 years ago it was 50p to get the bus. That's an almost 100% rise.

Anyone know how much bus eireann hiked the prices up when we changed over to euros from punts? As I recall, but I don't have the figures, it was pretty big (along with most other companies in ireland). Bus Eireann aren't saints, anytime an increase comes along they blame it on the economy, rising oil prices, the amount of old people still alive, whatever. Its never the fact that the company is ran by total eegits, oooh fukkin' noooooo!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As far as I remember they didn't hike up the prices straight away when we moved to Euros, they actually rounded down. They added 5c after a few months though.

Advertisement