Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat fee refuse collections in Kildare

Options
  • 04-01-2005 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I got a letter from Thorntons recycling who do the bin collections in Maynooth stating that they have decided not to apply pay-per-use/weight charges this year. Personally I find this reprehensible. About this time last year I got on to Thorntons and the Kildare CC to find out what their position was on polluter pays charging - the CC told me that they had plans to introduce it for 2005.

Was the nationwide pay per use charge not a government order that all local authorities had to comply with? I've looked on www.environ.ie to get some details but can't find any?

I recycle everything that I can including most plastic, compost everything compostable and as a result I would only need a collection every two weeks. Yet I'm still being charged the same amount as some neighbours who's bins are overflowing every week!

Can someone let me know where I could find details of government policy on this as I want to write in to all my local counsellors and to Thorntons to complain about this.

I find it totally unacceptable that Thorntons now say that they want to run some field trials of pay per use before introducing it. They've had long enough to prepare for it and if they didn't bother researching it before now then tough on them and should be forced to comply anyway.

Anyone agree?

Advertisement